Gehl 4500 skid steer fuel pump

/ Gehl 4500 skid steer fuel pump #1  

BeavermanUB

Tractor
Oliver 77
We have been searching for a fuel pump for our 4500. We know it is a Ford 4-cylinder engine. The pump that was in there says AC 79712798 and made in England. We cannot find a pump on the net or in local auto parts stores.....where can we get one or what would be the equivalent in an electrical pump? We have our steer for years and use it everyday....I am lost without it....thank you Cynthi...

/ Gehl 4500 skid steer fuel pump #2  
I am not sure what type of fuel pump it is but I am assuming it is an in tank pump - gas or diesel? A fuel pump is almost a fuel pump and it does not matter. Most fuel pumps are positive displacement type pumps and will pump either fuel. A four cylinder Ford engine is small enough that almost any pump would supply enough fuel.
There are a few things that are critical. One is that if it is diesel and it is an in-tank electrical pump there is a chance of reaching stoichiometry in the tank and so you need to be concerned about spark which means you need a pump made for diesel. If it is an outside the tank type of pump then it needs a little more suction capability. let me know a little more about the application and I should be able to help you.
FYI - I used to be an engineering manager at Walbro Corporation in the Fuel Pumps and Modules area. They are one of the largest suppliers of fuel pumps to the automotive industry.

/ Gehl 4500 skid steer fuel pump
I should have specified...it is not in the tank but an inline pump...gas...We were under the impression that is was like a Ford Pinto engine but industrial...thats what we got when we put a new starter in it...but for the fuel pump they say it is made in England and both of our local Gehl dealers said to go to a Ford dealer...We would rather buy on online and an original. We do custom rock picking so we use it to push up rock and need it back, SOON....not to mention all the things I do with at home everyday....Thank you for your input..We would be willing to put in an alectrical one if we cant find an original OR if the price was cheaper but good quality.

/ Gehl 4500 skid steer fuel pump #4  
OK - Your product was built a little before my time with Walbro as I am a lot more familiar with electric in-tank pumps. What you have is an AC Delco pump - from the AC in the part number. I assume it is a mechanical rocker arm diaphram pump feeding a carburetor on the engine. Since your interface is mechanical it would probably leave a hole in the engine that you would have to cover if you switched to an electric pump although that is entirely possible.

On Ebay there are many mechanical fuel pumps from AC as well as Carter that should work. The problem is going to be the mechanical interface and getting the right one. AC (or really GM) changed part numbers whenever they did a change rather than just a letter at the end of the number and therefore it is hard to find anything by the part number unless you have their matrix. (A very confusing system!) The good thing is that any fuel pump will have the capacity to supply your engine so you do not have to worry about the interior - only the interface. My suggestion is to take a photo and measure the interface - bolt hole pattern, arm length, etc. - and contact the seller on Ebay of one that looks about right. Typically a good seller will confirm the interface. The other option you have is to go to a Ford, since it is a Ford engine, or GM, since it is a Delco part, and have the part number traced to a current replacement part number.

/ Gehl 4500 skid steer fuel pump #5  
Agreed the only real difference between mechanical pumps is the length/shape of the pump arm.

We almost always switch our mechanical pumps to electric. Asuming it is not fuel injected, go to parts house and get a new inline pump and a good see through filter. Mount the filter first on the tank side followed by the pump. Get the electric as close as practical to the tank as they push better than they pull.