Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer?

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #1  

Localmotion

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 50-86 / Siromer 204S / Case CK-28 / Cat 302.5 / Nissan L35.09 / Nissan Atleon 110
I stumbled across this video on YouTube - obviously a PR stunt for Neuson, but quite interesting all the same...

I will fly my flag for an excavator when it comes to "digging" everytime, although I must conseed that there are times when a backhoe is much better simply because of its versatitly / fel :laughing:

So the question is - do you prefer a 360 degree excavator, or a 180 degree backhoe with FEL, & why? :rolleyes:

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #2  
A one-purpose machine is usually better than a multi-purpose machine for that purpose.

Now lets see the backhoe and the excavator each carry 10 yards of dirt 50 yards. :)

Bruce

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #3  
I posted this a while back. I have owned both, an excavator compared to a BH is like comparing a bullet to a knife. If you need an all around machine then go with a BH, personally a skidsteer or tractor with FEL and an excavator is the cats butt. When it comes to digging an ex will walk all over a(even a bigger) BH hands down.

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #4  
Obviously the excavator is superior for digging, it is what is was made for. But it is pretty much a single use machine. I have a JD 4700 with the loader and back hoe, it does MANY jobs well. Does not dig like an excavator, that is for sure. But let me assure you, it beats the crap out a pick and shovel BIG TIME!

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #5  
I'd like to see a TLB pick and carry a 17' railroad tie down a 10' wide dirt road.

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #6  
My wife can run a backhoe better than that guy on the JCB! Put a good operator in a Case, Cat, or JD BH/L and see what happens.

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #7  
I'd like to see a TLB pick and carry a 17' railroad tie down a 10' wide dirt road.

I would like to see an excavator prep and plant my fields, or mow my fields or drive across my lawn without tearing it up.

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #8  

Easy. Straddle it. Strap one end to the bucket and the other end to the hoe. Lift and go.

Bruce

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #9  
I would clamp it in my grapple and drive straight down the road with it sticking straight out in front. I might be able to even let a small excavator pass me going the other way.

Seriously, apples and oranges here as has been mentioned. For pure digging there is no beating an excavator. For multipurpose, there is no beating a TLB. A TLB with a quick attach on the FEL and removable hoe and equipped with a 3 pt and PTO is a Swiss army knife these days. The number of attachments is impressive. Again, pure digging and backfilling is an excavator's world.

/ Back Hoe -vs- Excavator... Which do you prefer? #10  
Storm56; I agree with your opinion to a point just a couple of things I myself have not had an isssue with. Excavators can go across a lawn and not dig it up even did this with an old 20+ton machine. I also do not feel the ex is a "single use machine", I use mine for many different task anything from mowing around the ponds to taking down trees, oh and of course digging:). There are many other functions an ex is used for, splitting wood, wood processing, drilling, mowing................