problems with 10" wheel asemblies on ASV RC-100 rubber track skid steer

/ problems with 10" wheel asemblies on ASV RC-100 rubber track skid steer #1  

Rock Springs

Tractor
ASV RC 100
Hi, I posted this same topic in another forum a few days ago, and it was suggested I post it here too because this is where the ASV guys hang out, so here goes...

I am having persistent problems with bearings going out on the 10" wheel assemblies on my ASV RC-100 skid steer rubber track loader. It seems as though the seal (part #0307-801) that keeps the grease in and the dirt out of the bearing gets eaten away, and then all my grease comes out, resulting in a shot wheel assembly. I have replaced 6 of the 10 10" wheel assemblies on my machine because of this, and the machine only has 1,000 hour on it. It's proving to be very costly and difficult to manage. Can anyone give advice on what the root problem is and what I can do to prevent the bearing from going bad?

/ problems with 10" wheel asemblies on ASV RC-100 rubber track skid steer #2  
you could try to make a rubber boot up to keep to dirt and whatever esle away from the seal

/ problems with 10" wheel asemblies on ASV RC-100 rubber track skid steer #3  
Not really that much you can do with the old seals they suck. Were having good luck with the new style axels with steel face seals instead of rubber ones. I would pull the rest of your axels and change out the rest of the seals we also use a synthetic 90 weight oil in the axels seems to help quite a bit. You could update the undercarriage to the new style axels. really all depends on how many hours you use your machine a year and the conditions you run it in.

/ problems with 10" wheel asemblies on ASV RC-100 rubber track skid steer #4  
We have the same machine and are having same problem, but ours is end 14" wheel assemblies. We noticed problems with these assemblies at the 1,100 hour mark and now with just under 1500 hours we have stripped both track assemblies for total refitting.We pulled the 3/8" grease fill plugs and inspected interior cavities. Those that showed rust or contamination we disassembled and replaced bearings and seals. Using 80-90 weight rear end grease and seems to work good when filled lying level at the fill point of mid way up axle shaft. We then stand them on end for a day to make certain no grease/oil is weeping out.Same for the 10" wheel assemblies. These wheel assemblies must have been engineered by a very PO'd fellow as they are a real pain to remove the seals, and we/you do not want to make an every Month event in replacing seals-then shot bearings. Another thing that certainly helps extend seal and bearing life is careful inspection everyday for debris in wheel carrier assembly and a thourough high pressure cleaning.

/ problems with 10" wheel asemblies on ASV RC-100 rubber track skid steer #5  
I have the beast also and at 1178 I did the 10" and 14" wheels. I did not go back with 80or90 weight. I drilled and installed a grease fitting on all. I found a grease that is so nasty dirt and water won't mix with it. It took 26 tubs or so but since then no problems and I stay in mud and water. The south is rough. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
   / problems with 10" wheel asemblies on ASV RC-100 rubber track skid steer #6  
Try using a piece of leather behind the wheels. I use a leather shoe lace loosely fit behind the oil seal. ASV used to use a huge steel washer to remove dirt out but that probably is worse than nothing. Leather is an old trick and if you wash your track out frequently the leather will polish the stub axle spindle.
I have an RC 50 used in Forestry with a grapple. Severe use. I started having trouble at about 2000 hours and ended up resealing and rebearing the bogies. Put leather on the axles and I should get 3000 hours before hassles again. By the way, I have one of the really early machines, so you're machines should be better.