New Holland 555E

/ New Holland 555E #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I was looking at a John Deere 710B that needed to be assembled, but it turns out there are just too many missing and damaged parts.

I'm now looking at New Holland 555's, particularly the E model, though it makes no difference to me what model it is since I don't know the differences.

Is this a good loader/backhoe? Why?

I have about $20,000 for a used tractor in this class. Is there another option? I'm fishing for ideas and always appreciate any suggestion.

My needs are to clear trees from small saplings to 18 inches, maybe larger in rare cases.

I'll be installing a sewage lift station, underground lines for sewer and water, manholes, culverts and some wireing. The wireing will probably be ran using a small trencher. I will also be moving tons of dirt and trees.

/ New Holland 555E #2  

Attachments

• 279279-210372-1-M.jpg
    279279-210372-1-M.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,045
   / New Holland 555E #3  
Hi My brother and i own and operate Ford backhoes daily, they re real good machines and parts arent that expensive I cant recall the age of the E series i run one partime with 4 wheeldrive and a 4in1 bucket for a friend and its a hoss fo septic work. Id go with the excavators in most clearing cases but around the house the front end loader and the small size is a must. The excavator is rough on an undercarriage it yi have to tote a load acros the property and such. You can put a thumb on the hoe and do some pretty good clearing just be weary of your limits and take in the fact its not a 988 Cat. Ive cleared alot of right of ways for utilies when i hepled my brother with his 455. One word of cautions is to check the torque tube on the front of the 555 loader the underside will have cracks if its been mis used or confused for a 988. Over all there pretty good machines i use my old Ford 3550 every day around the house.

/ New Holland 555E #4  
not many triple nickels running around here, however, the ones who have them, are on their second, third or fourth machine depending when they started in business.. THey swear by them and I really ahven't heard much about problems or unusual breakdowns

/ New Holland 555E
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One word of cautions is to check the torque tube on the front of the 555 loader the underside will have cracks if its been mis used or confused for a 988. )</font>

Can you be more spacific. I'm not an operator and I'm not sure what the torque tube is. I'll be looking at a few different Loader/Backhoes on Tuesday, anything else I should look for?

/ New Holland 555E #6  
The torque tube is the crossbar between the loader arms in front of the grill. Other brands may mount the bucket rams there; FordNH has theirs on the arms themselves. The torque tube is there to resist twisting forces on the loader arms in a case such as grubbing out a root with the corner of the bucket. Basicly, it keeps the arms parallel. HTH

/ New Holland 555E
Thanks for the information!