Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
One of the pins holding the replaceable tooth on my digging bucket sheered off, and the tooth was lost in a stream. I picked up a replacement today, but after soaking in PB Blaster for several hours am still unable to get the remains of the old pin out. I've been using a quarter inch punch on the 3/8 pin, and am beginning to suspect that I'm just spreading the ends and wedging it in tighter. Switch to a 3/8 pin and hope it doesn't get stuck? Heat? What works for you?

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth #2  
If it is on your 121 it probably has the Hensley teeth with the vertical pins. I have had good luck with a large lump hammer and have someone or yourself hold the punch with a vise grip, so you dont hit your hand or helpers hand, and whale away on it, and make sure you both have safety glasses. The worst case would be an oxy/acetylene set up and melt/cut the pin out, the pin is softer than the shank but still need to be careful not melt the hole for the pin.

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth
Thanks. I'm having a real hard time finding a 3/8 inch punch...the biggest at any store within 40 miles is 5/16.

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth #4  
Then try a short 3/8" grade 8 bolt. Start out with about a 1" long bolt until the stuck pin moves.

Drove to the Big City for a 3/8 punch. Applied more PB Blaster to the pins and will use brute force tomorrow. After two beers I'm not sure my aim with a mallet will be all that accurate. Safer to wait.

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth #6  
Drove to the Big City for a 3/8 punch. Applied more PB Blaster to the pins and will use brute force tomorrow. After two beers I'm not sure my aim with a mallet will be all that accurate. Safer to wait.

Where exactly is the "Big City" from Stowe?......:D

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth #7  
Pete, my woman could get that pin out for you in no time. She would just give it the look and that pin would shrivel and just fall out. Good luck on your efforts.

Where exactly is the "Big City" from Stowe?......:D

Big City = Burlington. It has buildings more than three stories tall.

Tried knocking it out with a punch and a sledgehammer this morning. The darned thing didn't budge. Might have to get my wife to give it The Look.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could drill it out..?

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth #9  
You might try dry ice. A buddy who was a machinist used dry ice on machines that bushings were stuck in. He would pack the bushing and area around it with dry ice then go take a coffee break. When he came back the bushing was easily driven out. He came up with the idea and it so impressed the German company reps they took it back with them.

/ Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth #10  
If it is on your 121 it probably has the Hensley teeth with the vertical pins. I have had good luck with a large lump hammer and have someone or yourself hold the punch with a vise grip, so you dont hit your hand or helpers hand, and whale away on it, and make sure you both have safety glasses. The worst case would be an oxy/acetylene set up and melt/cut the pin out, the pin is softer than the shank but still need to be careful not melt the hole for the pin.

Even if the tooth is a blue Hensley tooth made/sold by them... The tooth you are describing sounds like a Esco style tooth with a metal ribbed pin and a rubber ribbed keeper... The company I work for sells bucket teeth.. unfortunatly, I don't have a "good" idea to help get the pin out.. what about a air hammer (chissle)? use the punch with the tool... just have to be super carefull as the spring on the hammer won't be able to hold the chissle to the air tool