Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Default Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth

One of the pins holding the replaceable tooth on my digging bucket sheered off, and the tooth was lost in a stream. I picked up a replacement today, but after soaking in PB Blaster for several hours am still unable to get the remains of the old pin out. I've been using a quarter inch punch on the 3/8 pin, and am beginning to suspect that I'm just spreading the ends and wedging it in tighter. Switch to a 3/8 pin and hope it doesn't get stuck? Heat? What works for you?
    Kubota L3240HST, LA721 FEL, Farmi 531 winch, Woods 72" Brush Bull, LandPride RB2584 blade with hydraulic angle
    Kubota KX121-3S, angle blade w/ float, hydraulic thumb
    2012 BMW R1200GSA for solo adventures
    2010 BMW R1200GSA w/ sidecar for adventures with my dog - www.TravelsWithBarley.com

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX2360/ Kubota SVL90-2/ Kobelco 115SR/ Kubota 161-3

Default Re: Knocking pins out of excavator bucket teeth

If it is on your 121 it probably has the Hensley teeth with the vertical pins. I have had good luck with a large lump hammer and have someone or yourself hold the punch with a vise grip, so you dont hit your hand or helpers hand, and whale away on it, and make sure you both have safety glasses. The worst case would be an oxy/acetylene set up and melt/cut the pin out, the pin is softer than the shank but still need to be careful not melt the hole for the pin.
    If it has anything to do with diesel, dirt, and shiny things, I'm interested....

Elite Member
    Tractor

Thanks. I'm having a real hard time finding a 3/8 inch punch...the biggest at any store within 40 miles is 5/16.
    Kubota L3240HST, LA721 FEL, Farmi 531 winch, Woods 72" Brush Bull, LandPride RB2584 blade with hydraulic angle
    2010 BMW R1200GSA w/ sidecar for adventures with my dog - www.TravelsWithBarley.com

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Then try a short 3/8" grade 8 bolt. Start out with about a 1" long bolt until the stuck pin moves.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Elite Member
    Tractor

Drove to the Big City for a 3/8 punch. Applied more PB Blaster to the pins and will use brute force tomorrow. After two beers I'm not sure my aim with a mallet will be all that accurate. Safer to wait.

Tractor
    Kioti DS3510

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Drove to the Big City for a 3/8 punch. Applied more PB Blaster to the pins and will use brute force tomorrow. After two beers I'm not sure my aim with a mallet will be all that accurate. Safer to wait.
    Where exactly is the "Big City" from Stowe?......

Tractor
    Kubota L4610, ZD21, RTV900, B2630

Pete, my woman could get that pin out for you in no time. She would just give it the look and that pin would shrivel and just fall out. Good luck on your efforts.
    RB

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Buckgnarly View Post
    Where exactly is the "Big City" from Stowe?......
    Big City = Burlington. It has buildings more than three stories tall.

Tried knocking it out with a punch and a sledgehammer this morning. The darned thing didn't budge. Might have to get my wife to give it The Look.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could drill it out..?

Tractor
    Kubota L4610, ZD21, RTV900, B2630

You might try dry ice. A buddy who was a machinist used dry ice on machines that bushings were stuck in. He would pack the bushing and area around it with dry ice then go take a coffee break. When he came back the bushing was easily driven out. He came up with the idea and it so impressed the German company reps they took it back with them.
    RB

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tags View Post
    If it is on your 121 it probably has the Hensley teeth with the vertical pins. I have had good luck with a large lump hammer and have someone or yourself hold the punch with a vise grip, so you dont hit your hand or helpers hand, and whale away on it, and make sure you both have safety glasses. The worst case would be an oxy/acetylene set up and melt/cut the pin out, the pin is softer than the shank but still need to be careful not melt the hole for the pin.
    Even if the tooth is a blue Hensley tooth made/sold by them... The tooth you are describing sounds like a Esco style tooth with a metal ribbed pin and a rubber ribbed keeper... The company I work for sells bucket teeth.. unfortunatly, I don't have a "good" idea to help get the pin out.. what about a air hammer (chissle)? use the punch with the tool... just have to be super carefull as the spring on the hammer won't be able to hold the chissle to the air tool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast