Ford 555

/ Ford 555 #1  

Varmint1

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 1010, JD 970, Farmall Super A,Komatsu D20A-5,Ford 4500,Ford 4000 forklift,Ford 640 w/703 loader
My buddy is looking at a ford 555, the owner says the hydraulics are weak, what is the going price for one of these machines?

/ Ford 555 #2  
If you look at machinery trader they list dealers all over.

They also have a search that you can search auction results to give you an idea of what they are selling for. Private sales are usually somewhere between the two.

/ Ford 555
Got home last night and today me and my buddy went and looked at the 555, few leaks nothing major, engine started really good, tires look good for a while. Can't find year of the machine serial number C581895 code 8H091 and the other number I couldn't read.

/ Ford 555 #4  
If the hydralulics are week, then the hydraulic pump is probably in need of replacing or rebuilding. What ever you pay for it, factor in the cost of a new pump and what it takes to do the labor. My thought is that is it needs work, it needs A LOT of work. Walk away and keep looking unless you can get it for a steal and you know how to work on them.

Eddie

/ Ford 555 #5  
That code doesn't look right. The production code is in the space under "model" on the data plate. It should have a letter instead of the number 1 as the last digit. It should be an A,B, or C.
Assuming the 1 is wrong the rest would mean...
8=1978
H= August
09=9th day of the month
A,B,C indicate 1st,2nd,or 3rd shift.

Hydraulic pumps are easy to change on the 555. Pull the grille. The pump is right there. There are two nuts and bolts mounting it. Remove the hoses, and slide it out of the driveshaft yoke. If you have to replace the pump it would be a good time to check the U-joints in the driveshaft for the pump. There's no good way to lube the back one on the older machines.

/ Ford 555
Did a little checking on the backhoe and found out the hydraulics aren't weak, the throttle lever on the injection pump was loose and worn causing the engine not to run wide open. Fixed the lever and ran the machine, the hydraulics are strong even after they were hot. Time to drain all oils and change filters

/ Ford 555 #7  
Don't forget the transmission filter assuming the machine has the power reversing transmission. The filter is tucked up behind the battery box/step. If you want to use a fram filter, the part number is PH7. I found one at TSC for about $9.

Last edited:
   / Ford 555 #8  
Did a little checking on the backhoe and found out the hydraulics aren't weak, the throttle lever on the injection pump was loose and worn causing the engine not to run wide open. Fixed the lever and ran the machine, the hydraulics are strong even after they were hot. Time to drain all oils and change filters

So does that mean you got it?

With used backhoes, prices are all over and it really depends on condition. If it is good and tight, and not in terrible shape overall, I've seen them pretty pricy. 12-15k. And if not in great shape and sloppy, all the way down to scrap price.

The 555 replaced the 4500. Good ole hoe. Fords built good hoes back then.

/ Ford 555
Yeah my buddy bought the 555, being a 78 model it is in very good shape, the backhoe bucket has very little slack in the pins. Got all the filters ordered and a new instrument panel, the old one is clouded and not working so my buddy wants to change it out. Thanks for all the advice it is good to know there is people still willing to help out these days.

/ Ford 555 #10  
Do you mind sharing how much $$$ he had to give for the beast??