backhoe size

/ backhoe size #1  

red belly

Tractor
1953 Ford NAA Jubilee
I have a 16' trailer with a 2' dovetail. I would like to buy a backhoe I could haul on it. I don't think I want a terramite, and I know I don't want a 3 point backhoe. I thought maybe you guys could suggest some older machines that meet my size requirements.

/ backhoe size #2  
Kubota B21 4000lbs 15' O/A less - about 13' with BH folded, or Kubota L35 with BH folded 16' and about 6000 Lbs.

Both are good TLB's - dedicated commercial units that are tough.

/ backhoe size
Carl_NH said:
Kubota B21 4000lbs 15' O/A less - about 13' with BH folded, or Kubota L35 with BH folded 16' and about 6000 Lbs.

Both are good TLB's - dedicated commercial units that are tough.

I Googled it and they look like tractors with 3 point backhoe. Little to new and pricy for me anyway. I'm more curious about a dedicated backhoe from the 70's or 80's. Like a 420 Ford (I don't think it is small enough, just the only example I could think of)

/ backhoe size #4  
length is one thing, but also how much weight the trailer is rated for. and then how much the pulling vehicle can handle.

other words, weight is going to be on the top of the list.

www.tractorhouse.com and click over on construction equipment, then TLB (tractor loader backhoes) i can never remember correct address for tractorhouse sister site that handles construction machinery. going through used machinery and what is available should help ya get some idea of make / models out there. and might help ask for lengths and weights of machinery.

you might look in to a "excavator" or rather make that a mini excavator. or a skid steer with backhoe attachment.

==============
with above said what are you going to be doing with the machine? folks might be able to help point ya in a better direction if that is known.

/ backhoe size
boggen said:
length is one thing, but also how much weight the trailer is rated for. and then how much the pulling vehicle can handle.

other words, weight is going to be on the top of the list.

www.tractorhouse.com and click over on construction equipment, then TLB (tractor loader backhoes) i can never remember correct address for tractorhouse sister site that handles construction machinery. going through used machinery and what is available should help ya get some idea of make / models out there. and might help ask for lengths and weights of machinery.

you might look in to a "excavator" or rather make that a mini excavator. or a skid steer with backhoe attachment.

==============
with above said what are you going to be doing with the machine? folks might be able to help point ya in a better direction if that is known.

Mainly loader work. Cleaning out ditches and small stumps. The trailer has 2 3500# axles

/ backhoe size #6  
How about an excavator ? They dig a LOT faster than a backhoe. Plenty of them around too. A lot depends on whether you have a second machine with a loader. If you do, then an excavator will be a better addition. One person can dig and the second moves the dirt if needed.

/ backhoe size #7  
The trailer has 2 3500# axles
Then the trailer only has a maximum GVW rating of 7,000 lbs.
Assuming the trailer weighs about 2,000 lbs., then that only leaves you with a MAXIMUM 5,000 lbs. payload.
I hope it has brakes on both axles, and you're pulling it with a 3/4 ton truck or better.

Personally, I think you're going at it backwards - get the machine you want, THEN get a trailer for it. JMHO.

/ backhoe size #8  
Personally, I think you're going at it backwards - get the machine you want, THEN get a trailer for it. JMHO.
Great advise.

I dont think they made a small enough backhoe in the "era" you want.

They were all big and LONG. Not nearly as compact and tight and todays style. The vintage of the 60's and 70's, An 8000lb machine with an OAL in excess of 22' was a small machine back then. Unless you got a "farm tractor" with the 3PH backhoe add on.

/ backhoe size #9  
Dump the trailer for a 25' 20k deckover. Then you can buy a real backhoe. Or maybe consider a mini excavator. The mini will be way faster digging anyway.

/ backhoe size #10  
A TLB like you're talking about from the 70's or 80's is going to weigh double or even triple what your trailer will haul. I have a 1980 Ford 555 and it weighs in the 15,000 range. Even a little 800 series Ford tractor from the 50's with a hoe on it will weigh more than your trailer is rated for.
How far and how often will it need to be transported?
IMO you should buy the machine based on the work you need it to do, then buy the appropriate tow rig.