Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    1953 Ford NAA Jubilee

Default backhoe size

I have a 16' trailer with a 2' dovetail. I would like to buy a backhoe I could haul on it. I don't think I want a terramite, and I know I don't want a 3 point backhoe. I thought maybe you guys could suggest some older machines that meet my size requirements.

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Default Re: backhoe size

kubota B21 4000lbs 15' O/A less - about 13' with BH folded, or Kubota L35 with BH folded 16' and about 6000 Lbs.

Both are good TLB's - dedicated commercial units that are tough.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Tractor
    1953 Ford NAA Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_NH
    kubota B21 4000lbs 15' O/A less - about 13' with BH folded, or Kubota L35 with BH folded 16' and about 6000 Lbs.

Both are good TLB's - dedicated commercial units that are tough.
    I Googled it and they look like tractors with 3 point backhoe. Little to new and pricy for me anyway. I'm more curious about a dedicated backhoe from the 70's or 80's. Like a 420 Ford (I don't think it is small enough, just the only example I could think of)

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

length is one thing, but also how much weight the trailer is rated for. and then how much the pulling vehicle can handle.

other words, weight is going to be on the top of the list.

www.tractorhouse.com and click over on construction equipment, then TLB (tractor loader backhoes) i can never remember correct address for tractorhouse sister site that handles construction machinery. going through used machinery and what is available should help ya get some idea of make / models out there. and might help ask for lengths and weights of machinery.

you might look in to a "excavator" or rather make that a mini excavator. or a skid steer with backhoe attachment.

==============
    with above said what are you going to be doing with the machine? folks might be able to help point ya in a better direction if that is known.
    Ryan

Tractor
    1953 Ford NAA Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by boggen
    length is one thing, but also how much weight the trailer is rated for. and then how much the pulling vehicle can handle.

other words, weight is going to be on the top of the list.

www.tractorhouse.com and click over on construction equipment, then TLB (tractor loader backhoes) i can never remember correct address for tractorhouse sister site that handles construction machinery. going through used machinery and what is available should help ya get some idea of make / models out there. and might help ask for lengths and weights of machinery.

you might look in to a "excavator" or rather make that a mini excavator. or a skid steer with backhoe attachment.

==============
    with above said what are you going to be doing with the machine? folks might be able to help point ya in a better direction if that is known.
    Mainly loader work. Cleaning out ditches and small stumps. The trailer has 2 3500# axles

Tractor
    Bobcat B200 TLB

How about an excavator ? They dig a LOT faster than a backhoe. Plenty of them around too. A lot depends on whether you have a second machine with a loader. If you do, then an excavator will be a better addition. One person can dig and the second moves the dirt if needed.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by red belly View Post
    The trailer has 2 3500# axles
    Then the trailer only has a maximum GVW rating of 7,000 lbs.
    Assuming the trailer weighs about 2,000 lbs., then that only leaves you with a MAXIMUM 5,000 lbs. payload.
    I hope it has brakes on both axles, and you're pulling it with a 3/4 ton truck or better.

Personally, I think you're going at it backwards - get the machine you want, THEN get a trailer for it. JMHO.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post

Personally, I think you're going at it backwards - get the machine you want, THEN get a trailer for it. JMHO.
    Great advise.

I dont think they made a small enough backhoe in the "era" you want.

They were all big and LONG. Not nearly as compact and tight and todays style. The vintage of the 60's and 70's, An 8000lb machine with an OAL in excess of 22' was a small machine back then. Unless you got a "farm tractor" with the 3PH backhoe add on.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Platinum Member High Compression's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60

Dump the trailer for a 25' 20k deckover. Then you can buy a real backhoe. Or maybe consider a mini excavator. The mini will be way faster digging anyway.
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 555 TLB, Xtra-Vator, pallet forks; Caterpillar 12 Motor Grader; FABTEK aerial platform

A TLB like you're talking about from the 70's or 80's is going to weigh double or even triple what your trailer will haul. I have a 1980 Ford 555 and it weighs in the 15,000 range. Even a little 800 series Ford tractor from the 50's with a hoe on it will weigh more than your trailer is rated for.
    How far and how often will it need to be transported?
    IMO you should buy the machine based on the work you need it to do, then buy the appropriate tow rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast