Caterpillar (very old) D6

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
My older brother gave me a old D6 dozer that has a simple up and down blade. Thank God it has an electric starter and not a pony start. The Rear sprockets are so worn down that the track tension er is at its max. It has a 74' gauge. Years back I bought some aftermarket parts from an outfit in Iowa but can't find them in my files. any other recommendations where I can locate sprockets, new or used? Sn 44A 9498

Thanks

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #2  
I would try a Cat dealer. They should be able to get the required parts. How are the bushings in the tracks. Have they been turned. If not that might get you enough to make it usable. Congratulations.

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #3  
If the sprockets are that far gone then I'd also check all the rollers and idlers. Are the rock guards touching the tracks?
It's not really old unless it has a cable blade. :laughing:
There are a lot of Chinese manufacturing companies making aftermarket parts for Cat.

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #4  
I know several people who have had good luck with Berco parts. They should have everything you would need.

Berco of America - Products

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #5  
Could you have bought parts from Grace Track Service in Iowa?

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #7  
Don't know if this applies to your D6 or even if it was once common. Back in the sixties, I worked for a construction outfit that had an ancient D6. You had to open up an access panel and grease the clutch every morning. Fail to do that even once and you were going to be tearing it down for repairs. Pretty nasty place to be putting your hands first thing in the am.

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #8  
Now you know why it was free. Wait till you see what the costs are in parts alone to do the undercarriage. If you can afford the parts to fix it and have the tools and know how to fix it, it may be a better deal to just scrap it and get something smaller work ready. I know, I'm a party pooper. Just replaced the undercarriage on a tiny 257 cat track steer and cost the company 15 thousand. D6 dozer will break you. I'm sure your whole undercarriage (rollers, idlers, final drive, and tracks) are shot.

/ Caterpillar (very old) D6 #9  
we had an old d69u that would throw tracks all the time.

kline adjustment was grease.

We eventually pulle dthe sprockets and welded them up ( stick welder! ) and then put a lil grind on them with a hand grinder.. not much.. just a lil.

after 2 days of welding we got the sprockets and chain tight and with the grease kline adjustment she stopepd throwing tracks.

ours had the pony motor.. :)