CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75?

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #1  

Cody Matthees

Tractor
CAT 262D, CAT 908M
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a CTL within the next year. Was originally looking at larger machines but for what I'll be using it for initially smaller would be better I feel (landscaping and light brush mowing/lot clearing)

Anyone have any experience or opinions about either the Cat or Kubota? I've spent probably 12 hours in the kubota and really liked it. I have not run the 259, only 247 and 287C MTL's.

My main concern with the Kubota is that high flow hydraulics are not available which would be nice for running a rotary cutter (it's flow is something like 18.8 GPM). Otherwise I really liked running it and was impressed by its performance.

I know next to nothing about the Cat, but high flow @ 31gpm is available which would be very nice for the rotary cutter and other attachments.

Both dealers in town that sell them are good to deal with so that's not a selling point.

Sorry for the short novel just need some feedback! Ha

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #2  
The svl90 has hi flow. If you want hi flow just get the Cat. Heard they have good traction but bad wear on the tracks.

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75?
The 259 cat doesn't have the MTL (asv) type undercarriage. It's just the normal CTL u/c.

I feel like the svl 90 or like a 289/299 size machine is just too big for a lot of landscaping type jobs. If it was going to be a dedicated machine for brush clearing I would go that route

Just looking for anyone that's owned or maintained either of these and your opinions on them

Thanks!

Cody

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #5  
I have been looking at CTLs also.

I have rented the Cat 259b a couple times. I have around 40 hours on them.

I like the size, but the cabin is tight, the AC sucks, the tracks pop loose and the radiator plugs up easily.

I like the roll up door on the Kubota.

Also the SVL75 has the old school emissions if I get one that was made in 2012.

$51K for a SVL75 with cabin air.

JD 329D is $64K.

D.

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #6  
Cat 259 came in at $50k

I ordered the svl75 cab today.

D.

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #7  
I ordered the svl75 cab today.

You'll like that CTL Darin. I don't own one, but I've rented one about once or twice a month for the last year.

One thing I found out that really helps the A/C flow better is to open the louver vent on the rear deck. Its the one with the screw in it and the knob. Closing the defrost vent helps too.

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #8  
I have a 246, friend has a 247 and says the maintence on tracks is costly. He also has a larger Cat 289 I think. The undercarriage is beefy. Almost like a dozer, but it was 70 something thousand. I sat in the kubota SS and it has nice ergos. Easier to get in and out than my 246 is. As well as better visibility. I imagine it is a quality product but they are fairly new so not time tested yet. The Cat is a time proven design so you know what to expect.

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #9  
The Kubota looks slick - can't wait to get some seat time.

Good call on the recirculation vent, I'll be opening it.

The CAAT 259B is not a proven design. They have had all kinds of problems with them. I hear the C and D models are better, but they kinda screwed it up with me on the B model. Never compromise on quality.

D.

/ CAT 259 vs Kubota SVL 75? #10  
Hope you have the best of luck with it, I think the Kubotas are nicest ones out there now. I just ran an SVL90 that a friend just bought and it is a smooth running unit, big cab, spot on controls, and great visibility. It will for sure be my replacement when I get rid of my Cat.