generator advice

/ generator advice #1  

JustinE

Bronze Member
Ok, I'm going to be working on some buildings on the farms soon but need a generator to run a circular saw and drill. I may get a compressor and nail gun later. What size and brand do you recommend? I really can't go too expensive on the generator. Your thoughts?

/ generator advice #2  
As a general rule of thumb, simply add up the wattage of all the tools and equipment you will be using and order a generator with a corresponding continuous rating. Assuming you are only going to have a small 1-1/2 HP pancake compressor, any 2.5 to 3.0 kW generator should have ample starting capacity for the saw and compressor and a few lights too, should be fine. Bear in mind that you won't get any heavy duty 1,800 r/m generators in that price range though.
When you are talking small throw-away generators like this, brand doesn't really matter a lot if buying new because they all have to meet NEC code minimum standards. Older used models may not meet current codes.

/ generator advice #3  
Howdy,
The only advice I can give is

The construction might take 2-12 months... the main idea is to think about what to do after the period. Look at what you might want to power during a full outage. Buy at least a 5500 running watt generator for best all around multi-purpose generator to have on a farm. The reason is, can run well pumps, or hot water heater, or other appliances.

With this in mind, your better off buying something for the long term, instead of buying something, using it, then realizing you need bigger 4 months later.

For a better product, I would suggest looking for anything which uses pressurized oil. They will be a little more expensive, but will have a better run time life. Oil Oil Oil is so important, wether topping off, checking, and changing. Splash oil generators work fine too. I just like having pressure and a filter. :)

/ generator advice
Thank you! I'm looking between 5500 and 7000. The big question is brand. There's Briggs, Generac and Centurion, Sportsman(Buffalo Tools), Troy-Bilt, Champion, Homelite, Subaru/Robin, and Duromax. I'm sure there's more. That's a lot of choices.

/ generator advice #5  
Thank you! I'm looking between 5500 and 7000. The big question is brand. There's Briggs, Generac and Centurion, Sportsman(Buffalo Tools), Troy-Bilt, Champion, Homelite, Subaru/Robin, and Duromax. I'm sure there's more. That's a lot of choices.

Keep in mind that these are all little air cooled light duty, throw-away, 3,600 r/m generators intended for intermittent duty, and are all pretty much the same. Stay away from cheap generators with aluminum conductors. Two very important brand names you didn't mention, Kohler and Cummins/Onan, tells me you're new to this.
You should not pay over $90.00/kW for those small generators. Another good source for inexpensive well built heavy duty generators is military surplus.

/ generator advice
I don't care for Kohler. I looked at the Onan but couldn't find anything on portable generators.

/ generator advice #7  
I don't care for Kohler. I looked at the Onan but couldn't find anything on portable generators.

You're kidding, right? Sears sells Onan portable gen sets. Curious why you don't care for Kohler, they make a nice unit.

/ generator advice
The local Sears doesn't have much.

I got burnt on a Command engine on a Cub Cadet once. It was nothing but headaches from the start. Burnt oil when new. Finally got to where it'd either dump all the oil or fill with gas while mowing. Spent close to $1500 on it to get it to run 5 minutes. Called Kohler. That was no help. I finally gave up on it.

/ generator advice #9  
As already stated, add up the wattage you'll need. You state that cost is a factor, check craigslist, many home owners buy generators in a pinch during a power outtage then sell them.

/ generator advice #10  
<snip> I really can't go too expensive on the generator. Your thoughts?
If you can't go too expensive then plan on Craigslist, the danger of used, and throw away.

Right now in my area CL has several generators for sale.

Typical ad:
5500 Watt Emergency Response Generator by Briggs & Stratton. 5500 watts;8250 starting watts; 7 gal fuel tank; extra long 13 hr. run time. Still in box, never opened. Originally $799 from Home Depot . Bought when bad winter expected, but never lost power/never used or even opened. CASH firm, please bring help to load.

If you limit your power needs to 3KW you'll find new generators from about $300 to $1,500, their main advantage over the common 5.5KW generators is size.

Quick Find has a bunch.

Will you have other uses later on?
How often does power go out in your area? If your subject to power outages I advise you put more $$ in a generator. If never get the minimum and hope it lasts.
Will you want to take it camping? I'd look to save weight.