Tree Clearing w/KX121-3

/ Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #1  

DaNag

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3130HST w/LA723, HD bucket
We just bought a lot, and need to clear it. While I've gotten a quote on the job, the thought of renting a Kubota KX121-3 is appealing...admittedly for the fun/learning factor, but hopefully to save a little $$ as well.

However, being a little wet behind the ears - I'm not sure how big of a job I'm getting myself into. I've plenty of seat time in my 3130, so I'm not totally ignorant of machinery. And, I've watched a couple of professionals with a big excavator and dozer clear our last place of significantly larger trees. So, I understand the basics - clear roots to side of tree as needed, then push it over from a point 8-12' up or so. Grab/shake a little to lose the dirt, get it to the burn pile, then level up the mess I just made.

The main grove of trees are all small alders, and there's probably about 1.5 acres of them or so. I don't think there's anything over 8" - many/most are 4-6". Pic showing most of them:

efAOMhq.jpg

Ground is soft, but not muddy. I'm sure these will easily come out with the KX121 - I've actually pushed the smaller ones over with my 3130 bucket with limited success, but was spinning the wheels on the larger ones. What I'm not sure of, are two things.

- How long will it take? I realize there are many variables and none of you can see the site, but for the price I was quoted by a local guy with a similar Kubota mini - I could rent one and pay all expenses for 5 days. My time is worth nothing. The local, experienced guy said it would take him 1.5 - 2 days at most...so even if it takes me twice as long, I'll come out ahead here.

- How big a tree can the KX123 can handle? The small alders are 90% of the work - but there are perhaps 10-15 larger cedar/fir trees, mostly in the 10-20" diameter and 60-80' tall. There are a couple that are 24-28" in diameter, but I'm guessing those might be pushing the limits...although again, the ground is quite soft, and roots don't run very deep in this location.

Any words of wisdom? Just do it and have fun, or....?

/ Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #2  
If it were me (just sayin') I'd rent a CTL with a forestry package and have twice the fun in half the time.

/ Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #3  
I've done a lot of those size trees with my 161, you just need to be extremely careful that the tree doesn't roll around the side of the bucket and slide down the boom right into the cab the you are sitting in. If you damage a rental machine you may be in the hook for repairs depending on their policy. The rental of a 121 for the week is probably around $1000 for the week so only you can decide if the money is better spent in you doing it or putting it towards someone else doing it. Hopefully the rental machine has a thumb, if it doesn't the job will not be as easy. Hope this helps.

/ Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #4  
Clearing trees (especially something 10-20" dia & 50' or greater ) isn't for the faint hearted or inexperienced - combined that with using a compact excavator of limited reach & you'll be placing yourself a little too close to the "action" for my liking (an excavator in inexperienced hands is also easily damaged, usually on the boom or swing in clearing operations).
To give an idea of scale below is a photo of our 22T excavator preparing to remove a tree (comparable is size to your larger trees) - the higher the bucket is placed the greater the leverage the "push" will be placed about 1/2 way up this tree. Also with this tree being "springy", as high as possible the branches are in the process of being removed to prevent catapulting "spears" & to aid felling into the narrow slot we had as a drop zone without causing consequential damage to structures on the ground

With the bulk of your clearing which is smaller trees, as others have recommended a CTL would prove the better/quicker "tool" & is far easier to operate.

Attachments

• TBN29012013.JPG
    TBN29012013.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 438
   / Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #5  
I think you would be pushing the 121's limits.....that's just me....I have a Mini-X that is slightly smaller than the 121, and I wouldn't touch that job with a mini....something with some reach and power is what you need. I would hit that with my Kobelco SR135 and it's hydraulic thumb...plenty of power and reach to grab, remove and stack with out spending most of your time tracking all over the site.

Attachments

• 2012-03-16_14-10-17_514.jpg
    2012-03-16_14-10-17_514.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:
   / Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #6  
Either a 12-15 Ton excavator or a large CTL is needed. A KX121 will take weeks / Months to clear that and is dangeously undersized for that job.

/ Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #7  
Down here 6 days rent makes for 2 full weeks of rent time. Clearing 6-10" trees with a 121 isn't a big deal. On the bigger trees, depending on the situation, I would cut them then dig out the stumps assuming this is stuff that you would enjoy.

While a 13T excavator would make this job a snap, you're not a contractor with time constraints.

The biggest slow down will be consolidating the material into a burn pile. Assuming ground conditions allowed, I would dig the trees with ex and swing them into the right orientation, then consolidate/forward/pile with a loader of some description.

With the exception of the fresh pine, this was mainly cleared with a KX121 in 2-3 hours. The biggest we removed whole was maybe 14" dbh, 18" on the stump, give or take.
image-3994087240.jpg

image-3758814122.jpg

A day after I lit it.
image-3404101736.jpg

/ Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #9  
I think you are right on track with your plan although a bigger machine is allways better, and your larger trees you describe are deffinetly too big for the 121. I think that the bigger rent for a bigger machine will come close to equal out in the rental time needed but the difference is that you'll be able to get all the trees with the bigger machine (15K-18K class).
Be sure to get one with a thumb! Also be sure to have some help there. You are going to have tremendous piles of trees in a hurry! Some one with a saw or another machine to move & stack them so you can keep the rented machine working.

/ Tree Clearing w/KX121-3 #10  
I have to agree here. Things can, and do, go very wrong quickly. A simple move of the wrist in the wrong direction can make for a bad day. Pushing a pile of trees, things can roll over the top or side and come right into the operators station. Stuff you never expect can get brought up by the tracks and into the operators area (cable, vines, roots, etc.). Every day, I'm thankful for making it through safe. I posted this awhile back, but it's still fresh in our minds when we're working.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/214199-accident.html