Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Default Re: Subaru Brand Generators

Quote Originally Posted by TimberXX View Post
    Whats the advantage of aluminium vs copper?
    There is no advantage of aluminum over copper electrically, but it costs much less to manufacture the generator, and connectors are prone to failure.
    Many low cost generator heads have aluminum windings. The average consumer isn't aware of this because the market for those heads is done at the B to B level.
    Yuchai YCT dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe for sale.

Tractor
    Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204

I have a Subaru OBW sitting in the garage and a tiller out in the shed with a Robin EX engine. No way would I rate the Robins and especially the small EX engine under a Honda. The EX doesn't have any plastic internal parts except maybe the chain tensioner. This is a OHC design and the crank is supported by ball bearings on both ends. Very little mech noise. Engines are warranted for 5 yrs even in commercial use. You think makers of equipment intended for commercial use would pick a 2nd or 3rd tier engine for this kind of application?

As for brushes Vs brushless, I'll take the brush design. On a brushless design there is a sizable capacitor mounted on the armature. I don't need something like that rotating at 3600 rpm and decides to come flying off. Not all that unusual for lower qlty brushless designs. If this happens it's not a DIY fix. You typ see brushless designs on low end intermittent use gensets. Not say ALL brushless design aren't decent but the majority small gensets aren't intended for extended use. Like the brushes on an automotive alt, on generators they're not a issue and last for a very long time. Need replacing, typ can be changed in a few min.

The genset in my MH, an Onan uses brushes and they are designed for extended use. Oh, that genny turns 1800 rpm. Also have a high end Honda. A model you don't see too many of. It also is a brush design. Speed regulation is great, I've measured freq at low and high loads and freq is held to +/- .5Hz. The engine on this genny is also not your typ design. 2 cyl OHC water cooled. List price ~$4k for 6.5kW. Now out of productions. Not sure of the engine specifics but would suspect it is top notch.
    Yanmar Fx24D,
    Koyker 155 loader,
    RSB-1300 tiller
    Cub 3204, 48" mower
    Bolen 1257 GT with tiller

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Case IH 255, Gravely 8199G

Quote Originally Posted by TimberXX View Post
    Whats the advantage of aluminium vs copper?
    within most design parameters, copper is better, significantly more expensive, and used on most quality gen heads. Hope I got that right.

Also, there is always the option of building your own relatively inexpensively:
    Surplus Center - 13.4 HP YANMAR 2TNV70-HGE DIESEL ENGINE

3600 rpm diesel at rated power, maybe you could run it lower
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, Land Pride RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, Land Pride 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mower, Gravely snowblower, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,Ariens snowblower, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2006 JD LX280, , 1968 Cub Cadet 125, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by daugen View Post
    within most design parameters, copper is better, significantly more expensive, and used on most quality gen heads. Hope I got that right. Correct.

Also, there is always the option of building your own relatively inexpensively:
    Surplus Center - 13.4 HP YANMAR 2TNV70-HGE DIESEL ENGINE

3600 rpm diesel at rated power, maybe you could run it lower
    Nominally rated at 10kW @ 3,600 r/m so you could conceivably run a 5 or 6 kW head @ 1,800 r/m.

Our 3 mW TEWAC Kato's weigh in at around 25 tons each - not an ounce of aluminum in there.
    Yuchai YCT dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe for sale.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Here is one of my alternators, it's the white thingy and they are brushless..

-04-jpg

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Case IH 255, Gravely 8199G

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post
    Here is one of my alternators, it's the white thingy and they are brushless..

-04-jpg
    I love it. An EMD for prime power? You sure will be the first on your block to have one.
    this looks like backup power for a small town.
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, Land Pride RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, Land Pride 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mower, Gravely snowblower, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,Ariens snowblower, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2006 JD LX280, , 1968 Cub Cadet 125, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by daugen View Post
    I love it. An EMD for prime power? You sure will be the first on your block to have one.
    this looks like backup power for a small town.
    LOL. Yeah, I have four of these puppies. EMD 16-710G's. 4,000 HP ea. @ 900 r/m. They power four 3,000 HP Siemens electric drive motors through a cyclo-converter control system. Pretty cool even though it's old technology.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12