Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member

Default Subaru Brand Generators

Does anyone have any experience with subaru brand generators?

It seem that everyone is making them these days, but I am curious about the quality. I have owned their engines in the past, and they have treated me well.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Default Re: Subaru Brand Generators

I own two Subaru vehicles but have no experience with the "Subaru Robin " ,which is their small motors.Not to be confused with the flat four and six in their cars.If I were going to purchase a stand alone gen set it would be Honda powered.

Gold Member

A honda generator of the same size is $1000 more.

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

The Subaru Robin engines are swtone cold reliable. Have one on my powerwasher, bought new in 2008. still runs like a top. Have another Fuji(Robin Subaru) engine in my Polaris Sportsman.

I would not hesitate to own another, nor would I spend more on a Honda just to avoid them.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Subaru Robin is a high spec engine maker, well regarded in commercial applications, often offered in same applications as Honda and Kohler.
    I don't think they've made a bad engine, and when kubota wanted to get into the less expensive gasoline powered UTV's, who did they go to?
    Not Honda, but Subaru. Who had an EFI single cylinder that no one else had. Seems a pretty tech oriented company. I own an RTV400 with that engine btw.
    I had no fears of Subaru, I owned a Legacy wagon once and what a great car.
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Gold Member

Their generator heads have brushes. Any opinion on that? I thought all high end units are brushless.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by TimberXX View Post
    Their generator heads have brushes. Any opinion on that? I thought all high end units are brushless.
    Those are not high end generators, they are 3,600 r/m screamers no matter how quiet they are. They are considered throw-aways. A high end portable generator will run at 1,800 r/m and is not for the faint of wallet. My guess is the generator head is imported - from China, but even most of the newer Chinese imports are brushless and self exciting. Find out if it has copper or aluminum wiring.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Bob,
    but what gen under say 10kw other than a specialized off grid gen will give you that low speed?
    my comments were only about the motor, compared to comparable 3600 rpm motors, they are above average quality.
    Interesting that kubota's new fancy diesel gens, seriously big bucks, run at 1950 rpm. Trying to figure that out, but they must have designed that speed
    into the whole design to get the right voltage.

Subaru Robin is competing against both the GCV and GXV Hondas. I'd put their EX models somewhere in the middle of those two Hondas, but now we have
    to start talking about engine parts, anyone worried about plastic/Delrin cam parts, governor parts, wherever they use plastic? I think Subaru is an early adopter but even
    Kohler is using plastic parts now. Hey, a ceramic part would last forever, maybe their Delrin is really good stuff.

I'm sure that brush equipped gen was included to hit a price point. Next model up? Does it get better?
    I think Subaru is number four in their market, and probably has no desire to be number one.
    What I feel good about them is that I don't think they will ever put out junk, they are too exacting for that. "old fashioned Japanese values?"....

A gen is only as good as its weakest link. So the electrical end is just as important, as is quality of voltage regulation. I hate running machinery at 3600 rpm, I don't even like pto speed... but finding low speed gens is pretty hard in
    smaller sizes. Generally too large and too expensive to sell. I had an 1800 rpm 15kw old Onan diesel gen in my boat, and if that thing had ever hit 3600 rpm, I think we would have landed
    on shore.

So I like your idea. But I think the reality is that pairing a good engine and running the wee out of it at 3600 rpm day after day will get you the same service life as a less expensive gen head. Perhaps designed to fail at the same time...
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

There are many 1,800 r/m portable generators on the market, some research is required to root them out though.
    Although not portable, here is a 6.5 kW kubota diesel generator for example.

Kubota Powered 6.5 kW water cooled Diesel[/URL]

Here is one possible explanation to that 1,950 r/m generator:
    Generator Frequency Conversions: 60 Hz and 50 Hz Power

I operate a 4.16 kV 12 mW plant and our four alternators turn at 900 r/m.

Also, there is always the option of building your own relatively inexpensively:
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?Item=28-1818

Anyway, I think I'm getting away from the OP's intent. I apologize.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post
    Those are not high end generators, they are 3,600 r/m screamers no matter how quiet they are. They are considered throw-aways. A high end portable generator will run at 1,800 r/m and is not for the faint of wallet. My guess is the generator head is imported - from China, but even most of the newer Chinese imports are brushless and self exciting. Find out if it has copper or aluminum wiring.
    Whats the advantage of aluminium vs copper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast