John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #1  

saturn

Tractor
farmall
I have a chance to buy a 210c john deere backhoe. The only problem that is that when it is in forward it will only move for a short distance and the it will stop and then you have to shut the engine off and restart it and it will move again for a shot distance before stopping. They had a problem with no reverse before this and had that repaired. After that is when the forward movement problem started. The reverse repair was pretty costly so they are just going to get rid of it. Does any one have any idea of what the cause of this problem is? thanks in advance, Ron

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #2  
I am having the EXACT same problem any solutions on this?

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #3  
Is there anybody out there that can add some insight into this issue because I am having the identical problem with my 210C. I never had any problems with reverse, only the forward.

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #4  
I have a chance to buy a 210c john deere backhoe. The only problem that is that when it is in forward it will only move for a short distance and the it will stop and then you have to shut the engine off and restart it and it will move again for a shot distance before stopping. They had a problem with no reverse before this and had that repaired. After that is when the forward movement problem started. The reverse repair was pretty costly so they are just going to get rid of it. Does any one have any idea of what the cause of this problem is? thanks in advance, Ron

May be a reverser control valve.

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #5  
I took the reverser control valve out and I don't see any signs of damage. I am going to disassemble it further but do you have any idea of what I should look for?

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #6  
Not sure if you would see any actual damage, the plunger may not be functioning properly.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #7  
I had the same problem. Lost forward and reverse while plowing snow. Check the shift solenoid first by diconecting the wires to it. If not solenoid, it could be the torque converter or clutch plates. I bought the rebuild kit from Broken tractor (John Deere Reverser Parts) and a torque converter from Farmland Tractor Supply (Reman Torque Converter for John Deere Industrial Reverser (AT196800, 300D)). I removed reverser and rebuilt. When dissassembled I found that 2 clutch plates were worn and the hydraulic fliter appeared to be plugged. I believe the problem was either the plugged filter or more likely a bad torque converter. Either way it works great now. The filter can be accessed be draining the oil and removing the oil pan. Removing the reverser assemby was a hude pain. I did outside and didn't have a transmission jack. I used a come-along from one of the front loader arms thru the frame, under the joint between reverser and bell housing, up thru frame to the loader arm on the other side. About $630 in parts. Paul

/ John deere 210c bachhoe shuttle shift #8  
Victory!!! I think...

It finally warmed up here a little bit (-10F is a bit too cold to work outside and 40F is much better) so I crawled under the machine and this is what I found.

I took the reverser control valve completely apart where I checked and cleaned all the internal springs and pistons. Everything looked good there, all the springs had good tension & no cracks or anything and the pistons didn't have any scoring. I then drained all the oil out and pulled off the bottom drain pan. Inside I found the screen for the oil pick up was dirty so I pulled it off and completely cleaned it with degreaser and blew it all out with compressed air. I also found a congealed bunch of goo floating around in the reservoir as well which I thought was odd. I pulled it out and cleaned it with degreaser as well and it was the magnetic puck. I figure that it had built up with so much debris and dislodged from the wall of the reservoir and started to move freely around the pan partially clogging the oil pickup screen. I reinstalled everything and put new John Deere oil in it and took it for a run up and down the driveway and it worked great. I did a load test in 1st gear by putting the bucket up against a stump and there was no bogging at all, the tires just started spinning turning up the gravel. I also loaned the machine out to a neighbour and (other then running out of diesel) he said it worked really well with tons of power.

So as far as I can tell my issue is now resolved.