advice on a dozer plz

/ advice on a dozer plz #21  
Rusty , what u have said is correct on the shifting. You dont have to adjust the throttle to shift . just push or pull. if you feel the throttle is to fast you can adjust it accordingly etc....... by slowing the throttle you slow the shift etc...... I sometimes slow the throttle and use the clutch when doing what we here call inch (close ) work. Ive never had any issuses with that process either. the machine is designed to push the shift from hi to low , then back to reverse or if needed netrual. You can use the clutch the same way if needed ,just use care etc..... as not to throw yourself out of the seat etc..... LOL! As for setting the throttle just set it up against the governor or where ever you feel comfortable as far as RPMs and go with it. I set mine for a lack of words half way or so depending on the work Im doing. I hope this helps with your questions. HAVE A GOOD ONE.

/ advice on a dozer plz
Jd, So i got to play with the dozer some this evening. Pretty impressed with the ol' machine. I worked it pushing some dirt and some real big logs around. All I can compare it to is that Kamatsu 31, its quite a bit stouter than that Kamatsu, She's ugly though, lol. Gonna take a while to get used to the blade controls. At times it gets pretty busy in the cab. Lots of levers going on. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. Gonna spend all day on it tomorrow.

So no fuel gauge huh? Pretty awkward adding fuel to this thing with this cab. I guess it would be easier with a transfer pump in a pick up.

So, I;m realizing that I don't know much about this thing. I don't have an operators manual. Any ideas where I could download one affordably?

/ advice on a dozer plz #24  
I would have to agree with tlbuser. I bought mine from John Deere,it was the only option at the time for me. I bought the manual when i got the tractor.If you dont have any luck down loading ,I would find the nearest deere dealer and talk to them about buying a copy , I have went to deere farm equipment dealer divisions ( they sell only the Green equipment) and have ordered some parts, filters ,bolts etc...... they might be able to help you. If not I would look for idustrial dealer for help. Good Luck!

/ advice on a dozer plz
Thanks guys, I downloaded it from JDtech, Odd, I couldn't find it without that link. Thanks. So, I had a few hours on Sunday to do some work with it. About 45 min in I lost complete control over the gear selection. It happened all the sudden so I wasn't really worried that something was wrong with the transmission. I was right, it was 'just' a pin that came out of the shift rod at the gear selector arm on the side of the trans. The cotter pin fell out or broke but the pin its self was still kinda hanging in the little yoke. Amazing! The pin was still there! Easy fix! Right? Three hours later, on my back under the dozer, I finally just got the pin jammed back partially through the yoke/arm. But, not all the way though, not far enough to get a new cotter pin in. Normally, I'd just tap it with a hammer. No way here, no room at all. Anyway, its wedged so tight that its not coming out anytime soon, maybe. It might hold for a hour, a day, a month or forever. Gonna grab a smaller diameter pin and just keep it with me. The issue is that the rod or yoke must be bent a tad somewhere. The yoke just won't mate to the lever at the right angle. Anyway, joys of owning an old machine I guess. So, then I ran it till about dark, no issues. I was tracking up to where I was going to park it and it suddenly died(I did get a slight sputter about 10 min before). Embarrassingly, I think I ran out of fuel, lol. Even more sad was I had 10 gallons of fuel in the back of my truck. heh. I poured in 5 gallons and turned it over a bit, no dice. Its also on a fairly steep hill, leaning back, of course. I gotta get used to this 'no fuel gauge' thing. lol. Anyway, in the op manual it doesn't really mention an out of fuel situation. It does mention an air bleed procedure using a bleed valve and a primer pump. Is this the way to recover from this blunder? The previous owner said he ran out of fuel from time to time and just hit it was ether briefly and it would start. Some people hate to use ether on a diesel engine, I'm a bit in that category myself. Deere must not mind too much though, this thing came equipped with the cold starting aid-ether system. Must not hurt anything. Anyway, having fun so far! lol

/ advice on a dozer plz #26  
FWIW, those ether cold start aids are meant for REALY cold weather, like up on the Alaska pipeline, not for the mid thirties and forties.

/ advice on a dozer plz
FWIW, those ether cold start aids are meant for REALY cold weather, like up on the Alaska pipeline, not for the mid thirties and forties.

Yeah, I figured that. I used to have an old Ford 4000 diesel tractor that had the same system on it. I never had to use it. The tractor started well even around zero degrees.

/ advice on a dozer plz #28  
I would strongly recommend to anyone thinking of purchasing a piece of heavy equipment to have a qualified mechanic look it over and check the tracks if it is a tracked vehicle. You can invest a fortune on having to re-track or re-place a transmission in many of these "Good" deals. Many times what you pay won't come close to comparing to what needed repairs are going to cost.

/ advice on a dozer plz #29  
Try to get the fuel filter or filters full and do the bleed procedure . Alittle snort of ether WHILE CRANKING may help you out , it won't hurt anything . Get a stick of wood for a dipstick for the tank .

/ advice on a dozer plz
Try to get the fuel filter or filters full and do the bleed procedure . Alittle snort of ether WHILE CRANKING may help you out , it won't hurt anything . Get a stick of wood for a dipstick for the tank .

Wil do Kevin. BTW, it actually has a dipstick, yours might too. Its in the lip of the filler hole. It's kinda hard to read since its pretty much totally metal soaked/stained with diesel. Seems like they would have put a fuel gauge on this thing. I guess its just something else to go wrong though. Also, in the ops manual they say top it off everyday. I guess if you minded their suggestions you would never be in this situation therefore no fuel gauge is needed. Under no circumstances could you ever burn 30+ gallons in one day.

But, its snowing today, of course, but as soon as I can I'll get out there and get her started. Since its on a hill like that I guess I will do the bleed procedure. It sounds easy enough. Thanks again!