advice on a dozer plz

/ advice on a dozer plz #31  
Rusty When u pull the dipstick out wipe it dry, then restick in tank thru the hole where it belongs. The reason for this is so u will be straight or vertical in the fuel tank ,then remove again and hold in to the sun or light at at angle. look down the stick and the light will show u the wet and dry of the stick ,thus the amount of fuel. The fuel tank holds 32 gal. according to the manual. U might have to change filter , because of sludge and dirt in tank etc...... by running to empty. I useually prime new filter and crack the injectors. Then crank etc until fuel at all injectors. then tighten and go from there, hope fully u didnt run injection pump dry, if so u will have to bleed it. U will find as a #1 rule TOP OFF TANK when done for the day. The next rule u might want to keep in mind is do a pre start or walk around (look machine over etc..... ) all bolts,are tight or not lost ,broke, etc..... Grease machine etc...... and when u are done for the day its good to swamp the tractor .(clean tracks ) u might want to envest in a sharp shooter (track spade,shovel) they come in handy for this. I hope this helps u!

/ advice on a dozer plz #32  
Those metal dipsticks are too hard to see. A wood lath is mucheasier to see . Did you get her fired up ?

/ advice on a dozer plz #33  
Thanks guys, I downloaded it from JDtech, Odd, I couldn't find it without that link. Thanks. So, I had a few hours on Sunday to do some work with it. About 45 min in I lost complete control over the gear selection. It happened all the sudden so I wasn't really worried that something was wrong with the transmission. I was right, it was 'just' a pin that came out of the shift rod at the gear selector arm on the side of the trans. The cotter pin fell out or broke but the pin its self was still kinda hanging in the little yoke. Amazing! The pin was still there! Easy fix! Right? Three hours later, on my back under the dozer, I finally just got the pin jammed back partially through the yoke/arm. But, not all the way though, not far enough to get a new cotter pin in. Normally, I'd just tap it with a hammer. No way here, no room at all. Anyway, its wedged so tight that its not coming out anytime soon, maybe. It might hold for a hour, a day, a month or forever. Gonna grab a smaller diameter pin and just keep it with me. The issue is that the rod or yoke must be bent a tad somewhere. The yoke just won't mate to the lever at the right angle. Anyway, joys of owning an old machine I guess. So, then I ran it till about dark, no issues. I was tracking up to where I was going to park it and it suddenly died(I did get a slight sputter about 10 min before). Embarrassingly, I think I ran out of fuel, lol. Even more sad was I had 10 gallons of fuel in the back of my truck. heh. I poured in 5 gallons and turned it over a bit, no dice. Its also on a fairly steep hill, leaning back, of course. I gotta get used to this 'no fuel gauge' thing. lol. Anyway, in the op manual it doesn't really mention an out of fuel situation. It does mention an air bleed procedure using a bleed valve and a primer pump. Is this the way to recover from this blunder? The previous owner said he ran out of fuel from time to time and just hit it was ether briefly and it would start. Some people hate to use ether on a diesel engine, I'm a bit in that category myself. Deere must not mind too much though, this thing came equipped with the cold starting aid-ether system. Must not hurt anything. Anyway, having fun so far! lol
BTW you need to get that pin back in that yoke or it may fall out at a very bad time .

/ advice on a dozer plz #34  
therefore no fuel gauge is needed. Under no circumstances could you ever burn 30+ gallons in one day.

Since its on a hill like that I guess I will do the bleed procedure. It sounds easy enough. Thanks again!

Yes, the bleed procedure should get you there, but you might have to go one step further and crack the injectors to bleed all of the air out.

No fuel guage because you should shut down the machine and completely service it everyday (8-10 hours, closer to 8) refuel, check crankcase oil, hydraulics, track tensioners, etc. etc. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long. Private use is different than a jobsite where lights may brought in and things are moving around the clock with multiple operators.