advice on a dozer plz

/ advice on a dozer plz #1  

rusty0007

Tractor
2013 Kubota Grand L3940 Cab
I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading and reading posts trying to learn as much as I can from you guys, thanks.

Like so many, I find myself a victim of a really bad logging experience. I said that as politely as I could. heh. Its a pretty large job as far as time, it would take quite a while to clean it all up. Renting a dozer, with the weather off and on like it will be for the next few months, doesn't sound cost effective. My time too, its not completely dedicated to dozing all day. Anyway, I've found what I THINK might be a good dozer for me. Its a 1987 JD 450E. Its been owned by a fella that bought it a few years back to kinda do the same thing I need it for, push tops and dug up stumps and such. Its got some dents and dings from pushing top piles. Its got a cab, which I think is unusual for an older 450. The cab is missing a few panes of glass but does have A/C, he says it works. It's also got some sort of wings that attach to the blade. I guess these wings pivot on pins and can be set at different angles to create or valleys or crests. They fold up, but are quite tall, so he took them off, which I guess they go back on easily. Not sure how these work exactly or how wide the blade is with these wings deployed. Most likely useless for me though, pushing rocks and red dirt in the hills of Arkansas. It also has rippers.

The story goes it came from a contractor in California that built roads. It pushed gravel for road beds. He rebuild the undercarriage the sold it to the guy I'm getting it from 2 yrs ago. This guy has a small piece of land hes worked with it and it hasn't left his place as long as he's had it. He says it perfect and runs strong. He has not had any issues with the dozer at all. Says it steers crisply and snaps right into gear. Doesn't get hot or have any leaks. Other than a few lines, he hasn't had to do a thing except change oil abd grease it. He is NOT a dozer guy though. I'm not either really. Kinda a scary situation, hehe. I haven't bought this thing yet, but looking at whats for sale around here it SOUNDS like a solid deal on something that I can use for a while and resell. In the market now there are several dozers in this price range ( he wants 12k for this dozer) but most are older, much older, or just too big. I know a D4 or a 850 would do the job faster, but I don't want a dozer that large. Too hard to get hauled around, maneuver in the woods and such. Plus, most in that price range are mid-70's D4's or older. Seems pretty old to me.

So, I said all this to ask....Does the deal sound pretty good to you guys? Also, as far as the 450E in particular, what should I watch for? Thanks so much for time and opinions.

Best Regards,

Rusty Alexander

IMG_1067.JPGIMG_0003_2.jpgIMG_0001_2.jpg

/ advice on a dozer plz #2  
That price sounds pretty good. Most 450s of that vintage in my area are probably more in the 15-16 range. The guys I work for used to have a 455e high lift and I know it was a pretty good machine for them. That cab makes it pretty unique too. I've never seen one with a cab like that.

/ advice on a dozer plz
Dbaer78, Here too, most 'newer' 450's or 350's for that matter are in the high teens here. Also, I have been unable to find one with a cab period, unless its a 2005 model or something. The cab needs some work. Possibly some expensive work. Its missing a few panes of glass and the right door. I guess a stump popped up and smacked the door and crushed it in. He just removed it. I've been googling around trying to find replacement parts for it and haven't really had much luck. I'm thinking if I can fix it up cheap enough it will be money well spent. As long as I don't break something else that is....which is likely. I haven't seen it in person yet. Its over 200 miles away so I want to be as armed as possible before I run down there and look at it. I've quizzed the guy to the point of pestering...lol. So, all that is left is going to see it.

/ advice on a dozer plz #4  
The cab looks to be after market. I'd be more concerned about the transmission.

/ advice on a dozer plz
Lindblom, I've heard of tranny issues in the 450, and I've heard that people run them with no issues whatsoever. The owner says he's never felt a slip at all, but of course, what else would he say? From what I hear, you have to work them hard and long to get them to slip, if there is an issue. Overall, the general feedback I've received thus far has been they are the best machines in that class. There is some argument that I should try to find a Cat, but a D4 I think would be too pricey and large. The d4's I've seen in this price range are much older. The D3's in that era really didn't have good reviews. Some went as far as cursing the D3. According to some the 450 will out work the D3 hands down. Although others might disagree. It's hard to find someone that curses the 450 JD. So, I guess I'm picking the lesser of a few evils. I have a friend that has a Komatsu 31D (which has great reviews), but his is constantly broken down, usually pricey stuff too.I've ran it some, I'm not that impressed really.
Please let me know your thoughts on this. On the cab, I asked him if it was aftermarket and he didn't know. Since I'm having trouble finding parts for it, you could be correct. I'll investigate that when I see it in person. Hopefully there will be a manufatures tag or something on it.

/ advice on a dozer plz #6  
There's a lot of "cheap" dozers around & very few represent good value, add to that small dozers invariably cop more than their fair share of abuse being pushed into tasks usually well above their "weight".

Also consider relative to their "output" it costs roughly the same to repair, maintain or replace undercarriage on anything up to c.D6/7 sized machines & for the uninitiated dozer ownership can quickly become a whole world of mega $'s & pain when the first major repair comes your way - make no mistake owner any dozer is a high cost exercise. We run earthmoving gear including dozers & traxcavators on our farms/commercial earthmoving operation & if there was anyway I could avoid dozer/traxcavator ownership I would, unfortunately for us it doesn't (just) make overall commerical sense.

Depending on what you're trying to achieve & as you say it's a large job of making good a logging "mess", I'd suggest you may be far better off with an excavator in the c.12T (maybe up to say 20T) class: it'll dig up stumps quicker & far cheaper than the JD450 & is a whole lot cheaper to run on a cost/hr basis, fit the excavator with a thumb or grab & you can stack a burn pile really easily (& move fairly large rocks around), with the added bonus is an excavator isn't going to tear your land up like a dozer & has much greater versatility - you'll also find reselling any excavator is generally far easier than a fairly limited market for a small dozer.

Yes there's a good reason the original contractor owner was using the JD450 in roadmaking & pushing gravel as that's what the machine is sized to do, start asking much more of an already aged machine & the costs are going to escalate quickly & exponentially.

Last edited:
   / advice on a dozer plz
MBTRAC, thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. I totally agree too. A d6 for example would do twice the work, faster, even while burning 2 times the fuel. But, a D6 costs twice as much, which is where I bow out.I aso agree an excavator would do 75% of what needs done, and much easier than a dozer. No doubt. My issue is all the excavators I see are much much more expensive. I'd be hard pressed to find a tired, worn out mini-ex for 12k, let alone a full sized one. Something the size of what you are talking about would be very pricey. At the end of the day, I just need to clean up my farm without spending a ton of money doing it. I don't have 60k dollars to invest in a clean up. I just hope what ever I get holds up till I'm done! lol. Also, to clarify, I borrowed a JD 310D hoe and dug most all the stumps up. I just need to push them up and burn them. But still, an ex with a thumb would be the perfect tool. Lots of tops, everywhere! As far as re-selling the small dozer, here in Arkansas there are a lot of smaller farms, lots of call for small dozers. They sell almost instantly. Any dozer from the last 25 years that runs priced under 15k is gone quick. What you speak of is my greatest fear though. Breaking something pricey, which is easy to do. Totally agree with your thought process. Thanks for the reply!

/ advice on a dozer plz #8  
Rusty, sounds like you're taking the best approach by carefully weighing up all the options -if it's largely a "push & burn" & maybe raking exercise, IMO if I couldn't find a reasonably priced excavator I'd take a older style mid size 4x4 loader (something low tech & easy/cheap to fix like a Case W9, Clark Michigan 35, min Hough H30 or even a LeTorneau LD9) over a dozer (just watch not to stake a tyre)

I don't know the current used machinery market in the US (we've imported some S/H farm/earthmoving ex US over the years & generally prices seem a little cheaper in the US) though I would have expected there are still to be some bargains to be had post the economic downturn.
"Downunder" there's still a lot of good gear around at quite reasonable $'s (some machines Australian delivered & others "dumped" ex-Asia/Japan) even though locally we all survived the GFC pretty much unscathed:
As an example we picked up the 20T class Kato1220se pictured for $15K last year, mechanically/hydraulically/undercarriage sound & at 5000hrs reasonably low houred/looked after (i.e. no demolition or hammer work), sure it isn't a popular machine (& there's no way I'd use a Kato in our contracting operation) but for the $'s is a reliable "clunker" to be abused/bashed around by our farmhands - whether we run it for another 1000 or so hours then easily offload it for roughly the same as what we paid, or maybe run it to destruction (@say c.8000hrs, picking up a couple of thousand $ or so for scrap) on cost/hr we'll be in well in front (even against running our own current model excavators we use contracting).

I guess what I'm saying here in a round about way is keep looking there's always another bargain out there & there's always another machine if you have any doubts about this JD450 - For what it's worth about 20 or so years ago we ran a JD450C traxcavator & it was a reasonable if basic machine, we found Case at the time to be far superior crawler loaders, now we still have our "legacy" Case 1455B traxcavator for which parts are becoming increasingly problematic; as for dozers (apart from an old Fiat Allis 31 pensioned off for farm use & an ancient Fiat70CI which refuses to "die") we will only run exclusively Cat or Komatsu crawlers (generally Komatsu is under-rated with poor support & Cat commands an unrealistic premium mostly due to its better support).

Good luck & keep us all appraised of what you end up with.

Attachments

• Kato.JPG
    Kato.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
   / advice on a dozer plz #9  
Just for our own farm maintenance and tree clearing we have a 1968 Cat D7e that we bought 7 years ago for $14'000 knowing it had one cracked cyl head and this Drott 40 we bought for $5000 last year with bearings shot in one final drive and had been put out to grass .

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 519
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 517
   / advice on a dozer plz #10  
Hi rusty007 I own a jd450e series dozer 87 yr. 6 way blade,with rops cab. Ive ran heavy equipment all my life ,dozers, track loaders etc..... Dozers up and including Cat D9 ,Ive been around the 10 and 11 series , never run but have sat in the cabs.Nice tractors. Ive also been around John deeres Heavier Iron also very good . IMO the Deere are better then the Cats up to and including the D6 models. The Hi tracks are for who ever likes them,I dont care for them much but if u run cat (newer models) thats what u get! Ive owned several smaller dozers and Ive run several smaller.I perfer, Deere. I dont want to sound partial but Deere is the better Machine, like youve stated earlier from the people u have talked to. They are dependable i have done nothing except general maintence on mine, and replace under carriage a few yrs ago. I bought it used for more then double what u are being quoted. I bought it back in 1992 june.The tracks were half gone fome stone work etc...... I did my undercarriage work 4yrs ago.Tracks ,bottom rollers,idlers, adjusters etc......complete. I have never had any isues with trans. never and I own a farm and do and have done custom dirt work (heavy ) dirt work. Alot of people who own heavy equipment are owners only , they would tare up an anvil with a rubber hammer. Im not saying you would but alot has to do with the operater. Ive fired Guys who said they were operaters and couldnt run a lawn mower. The 450 will work with the D4 and out work the D3 and even the Komatsu Ive seen and done it. If you can buy this tractor for the price u said i would say u are doing good my appraised at $12000. -$15000. I wouldnt take that its worth more to me then that. The cab would be an asset. or problem . You could always remove it. IMO U wont go wrong with this tractor they also hold there resale value which u already know. Just my 0.02 . Good luck to You.