Mustang Owatonna 345 skid steer

/ Mustang Owatonna 345 skid steer #1  

mgrantphoto

Tractor
Mustang Owatonna 345 skid steer
I'm not sure where to put this post so I'll start here with my story/dilemna.

I have a Mustang Owatonna 345 skid steer that I believe was built between 1978 and 1982. It's powered by a Duetz 2 cylinder air-cooled diesel engine and was running fine except it was using A LOT OF OIL. If I ran it 3 or 4 hours, I'd have to stop and put a gallon of oil in it. I have no diesel engine knowlesge so I assumed that it was in need of an upper end rebuild. I pulled the motor so I could also inspect the lower end while I had it out and took my cylinders, the head and pistons to a local tractor repair facility for them to tell me what I needed to do. Long story short, they moved out in the middle of the night with all of my parts along with a lot of other people's parts.

After talking to some people, I've learned that it could have been an injector problem but it's a bit late to do anything about it now. I'm now needing to locate the parts to put it back together again, the cylinders, head and new pistons plus a rebuild kit for the engine. I've not had a whole lot of luck so now I'm thinking that I may be able to retro-fit another engine to the machine. I can't afford a new one and all of the hydraulic cylinders have just been freshly rebuilt so I'd really like to keep it.

I have photos of the engine compartment and the rest of the machine if that will help. I understand that they used to put Ford 4 cylinders in the earlier models (1975?) but not absolutely positive. Is that an option? Is there another option for a newer engine like maybe an Onan or Koehler? The engine that was in it was an F2L511.

Marc

/ Mustang Owatonna 345 skid steer #3  
The gas version was the Ford I98. When these became obsolete and expensive to rebuild a lot of guys went to junk yard and bought a Ford Pinto engine, swapped the flywheel and bolted it in. Pinto engine now days is going to be next to impossible to find. There is room for a small 3 or 4 cylinder Yanmar or Kubota engine to fit in there. You would have to make your own mounting brackets and likely have the flywheel tapped and threaded to bolt the coupler to it.

/ Mustang Owatonna 345 skid steer
I checked out the pinto motors. Like you said, SSdoxie, they're going to be hard to find. I would never have guessed a pinto would be in such demand. I did find a 1975 for $5000. I don't think they were that much when they were new. ;)

I appreciate the link, Bob, and I'm going to make a few calls later in the day. I'd like to find just the parts I need and not have to buy a complete rebuilt engine. I'll just have to see what they offer. Again, thanks.

Marc