68 Case 580 CK Timing

/ 68 Case 580 CK Timing #1  

Radrob

Tractor
Case 580
Hello everyone,

I just bought an old Ck in good condition and I'm having fuel problems. The machine would run with no power and wouldn't go pass a high idle so I took off the pump and went through it, checked return lines and now I'm trying to time it but I can't see the TDC on the flywheel but did find the 10 degree mark. It's supposed to be timed at 8 degrees but the pump shaft isn't lining up with the pump. I'm dreading taking the timing cover off to see if that's the problem. I know someone has been in the pump because I found an umbrella seal folded back and still looked new. This thing was sitting for a while and I have no past knowledge of what has been done.

At this point I'm thinking I have no option but to remove the timing cover, I have the valve cover off to make sure I'm at TDC and the pump still doesn't line up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

/ 68 Case 580 CK Timing
I got her fired up and running good, I still have a little smoke from the exhaust but considering how long it sat and all the fuel problems with it, I'll let it run for a while before making any other adjustments.

/ 68 Case 580 CK Timing #3  
Are you sure you had it at TDC , number 1 on the compression stroke ? You could be 180* out , they will still run , just not well . That would explain why you could not see the mark , you may have needed to rotate the crank another full turn as it rotates twice to every revolution of the cam .

/ 68 Case 580 CK Timing
All I could see was the 10 degree mark and not the TDC, I think I'm off by a few degrees because it lacks low rpm power but if I set the throttle higher she runs good. I also have a miss at lower rpms but when it's at about half thrittle it goes away. I also noticed someone put 1 injector in there that's from another machine and a little longer than the originals, they made a brass spacer to take up the difference in length.