Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left

/ Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left #1  

scooterbill

Tractor
D21P-6 komatsu, Ford Jubilee, Ford 3600
New member needing some advice. Dozer sat up for about a year. Got it running and it will spin both tracks with blade buried in the ground. It will steer right, but won't steer to the left. It does not bog the engine when trying to turn either way. When the tractor is moving and both steering levers are pulled, it will turn right. I adjusted the left brake band, the right brake adjuster is frozen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. .

/ Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left #2  
Welcome.
It sat outside uncovered in the weather for a year without a startup every couple of months.
Most likely the right steering clutches are rusted together and won't separate. Un-freeze the right brake adjuster and try to gently un-freeze the steering clutches.

/ Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left
Thanks for the reply Mr. Rob. If the dozer won't steer left, you are saying my problem is with the right side clutch? I may have been working on the wrong side. It turns right when I pull the right steering lever. The left steering lever pulls back further than the right one, even though, it still has no affect on the machine. I tightened the left brake all the way down and still no change.

/ Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left #4  
My bad. I meant the LEFT steering clutches won't separate. Also, that left brake band is probably gone, or broken.

I am leaving to go back to work offshore Wednesday. When I get back home, in a week, I'll tear in to the left side. I don't know a lot about these machines, but I guess I'm about to learn. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

/ Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left #6  
Last edited:
Rachel,
Thanks for the reply. Both tracks keep spinning even when pushing dirt. I can bury the blade and both tracks will still spin, even when pulling the left steering lever. I believe the left steering clutch is frozen. Again, Thanks for the reply.
Scott

/ Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left #8  
i have a d21-s replaced rt steering clutch still will not turn left

/ Komatsu D21P-6 Won't Steer Left #9  
i have a d21-s replaced rt steering clutch still will not turn left
What happens if you step on the left brake and pull the left steering lever?