Cat D5 , no gauges

/ Cat D5 , no gauges #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
working on a D5.. no gauges or instrumentation come on with key.

unit will start and operate.

I've checked all the fuses and circuit breakers under the fender on the left side. have removed the box there to check the 2 solenoids etc.

have got the dash pulled.. but not much mor ethere than wires.

any clues on places to start looking?

/ Cat D5 , no gauges #2  
No Ground?

/ Cat D5 , no gauges
it's a ball of wires the size of my arm behond there.. there are 2 seperate clusters.. one with a digital display and a bunch of indicator lamps.. and the other panel with a bunch of gauges.

it was bolted to the dash housing using 6 torx screws, and the fram that will swing down was bolted on with 3 5/8 bolts.

i'm not thinking it's a ground issue.

/ Cat D5 , no gauges #6  
Remove the ignition switch and bypass the wires. May have a faulty switch

/ Cat D5 , no gauges
checked the igniton switch a few hours ago. also found the pin 1/2 orange black wires to the dash that get power/ground with key on.. find them getting power.. so looks like dash may be bad.. ARGH 1150$ part :)

don't have the sn on me.. already left the job.. will post again when i get back there.

/ Cat D5 , no gauges #8  
I would have problems with my D3 Instruments and it was all mechanical... still the mice would manage to screw up things more then once.