Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps

/ Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps #1  

KenB2920

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240HSTC
Just curious, I See an extreme variance in prices. I am in the WAY northern Detroit area (45min north). I see tractor supply is almost double some other prices online. Now I know online can be cheaper. However, I know that means there should be cheaper places in the area. I cruise from the Imlay City - Warren area frequently. Let me know if you're from the area and have any secret spots and the prices.

I am looking for 10,000 lb straps or more. I see TSC does have 2 different sets. 21.99 (2"x15') and 39.99 (2"x27')

The chain I prefer is grade 70 5/16. 18+ feet

Chain binder 5/16

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps #2  
I have bought chains at Lowes in the past, but only on sale. I bought 2 chains at Harbor Freight a couple of years ago, The same chains-grade 70- exact same manufacturer - were exactly half the price of the same identical chains at TSC, and that was without a coupon. Best wishes. BTW, Amazon is also a great place for straps. I love Amazon. In most cases, if your purchase is more than $25.00, the shipping is free.

Last edited:
   / Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps #3  
Lowe's and Home Depot both have cheap prices on Grade 70 X 5/16" X 20' chain with one grab hook on each end.

$37.98 at Home Depot. Much cheaper than TSC. The tow-chain-in-a-bag I bought was labeled: GRADE 70 + Made In China.

HOME DEPOT PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

Tow chain with grab hooks is a high quality, high strength steel chain used for load securement. Clevis hooks on each end. More strength than hi test chains. Ideal for removing tree stumps, securing loads and recovering stuck vehicles. Warning: Do not use for overhead lifting. Do not exceed the working load limit. Not intended for use as a safety device, or in any application where failure may result in bodily injury or property damage. Make appropriate selections regarding sizes, types and load limits of chain and/or ropes. Use Swivel snaps to avoid twisting. Use with chain of equal or lower load limit.

Yellow
Steel core
Light duty chain
Clevis grab hooks on each end
Working load limit of 4,700 lbs.
Maximum working load limit that shall be applied in direct tension to a new and undamaged wire rope
Note: Product may vary by store.
MFG Model # : 00228
MFG Part # : 00228
Return To Top
SPECIFICATIONS

Assembled Depth (in.) 13 in Assembled Height (in.) 2.5 in
Assembled Width (in.) 11 in Fastener Type Chain
Finish Family Yellow Manufacturer Warranty None
Material Steel Package Quantity 1
Product Length (ft.) 20 ft Product Length (in.) 240
Product Weight (lb.) 20.06 Returnable 90-Day
Trade Size (in.) Other Vinyl coated 0
Weight Capacity (lb.) 4700 lb Weight per foot (lb.) 1.003
Welded Yes Wire diameter (in.) 0.343

Last edited:
   / Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps
Wow, fantastic sites.... I think I spent to much time reading both sites.... Now I just wish there was a place close that had those prices so I could drive.. Shipping YIKES!! Lol..

/ Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps #7  
I've ordered chains and binders from awdirect.com, they supply commercial users. I've bought other stuff from Truck N Tow. Both seem to be good places.

You might also try some of the larger tractor dealers. I know the local JD dealer has good tie downs and I think the prices were reasonable.

/ Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps #9  
I've ordered chains and binders from awdirect.com, they supply commercial users. I've bought other stuff from Truck N Tow. Both seem to be good places.

You might also try some of the larger tractor dealers. I know the local JD dealer has good tie downs and I think the prices were reasonable.

10-4 on AW Direct. Although their website doesn't mention it (I don't think) they do have local branches. I have purchased chain and binders from local branch-nothing like seeing the "made in USA" stamp. I'm still old school-would not trust a casting/forging "Made in China". Yeah I know-look at the loader arm castings on my JD and its "made in china"-but still its one thing when you have a company like Deere doing the oversight-its another thing when its something as generic as chain or hooks.

/ Where to buy chains / binders / ratchet straps #10  
Lowes for the chains, Northern for binders (usually on sale for about $18-19).