Least complicated used loader backhoe

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe
Hey Jim,
This is probably something I could figure out on my own. But I have a lot of respect for experience. So... is there a particular large tool set or combination you'd suggest getting from Harbor Freight? Anything you'd stay away from?
I've bought some tools in the past that looked good, but were made of cheap metal.
Any input is appreciated.

Best,
ak

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #32  
ak, I think any of the big open end/box end wrench sets are fine. HF also has offset jumbo SAE open-end wrenches. Many times on larger sizes, you can use metric or SAE wrenches. With any of these sets, it's doubtful that you'll ever need all of them, so I'd say buy what you need, but check out what is stocked at your HF so you'll have it for future use. I really like their jumbo sockets, but you can't use a socket or box-end wrench on a hydraulic line. For all the work an owner would do, I think these wrences are fine. Just be sure to have a LARGE storage space in mind. Large wrenches take up a lot of room and are really heavy. I've had no quality issues with my tools. I probably have close to $300 of these tools and that's a bunch. However, if you buy $300 of a name brand set, you won't have but a handful of jumbo tools. SK, Craftsman, etc, all think their jumbo tools are made of gold. HF has a lifetime warranty. They even sell a big 1" drive socket set that's a beast for a reasonable price.

BTW, sometimes for clearance, you need to cut a box-end wrench so it slips over a hydraulic hose and still can be used on a fitting. With the price of these tools, you can afford to cut them as you like and not be out the big bucks. A jumbo wrench that comes in a $50 set is easier for me to cut than one that comes in a $300 set.

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #33  
Nothing at all wrong with the HF jumbo wrenches. (or even their standard size wrenches for that matter). I own a bunch of HF wrenches. No complaints and never broke any, and never slipped off a nut that a craftsman or snapon wouldnt have.

And ditto on the metric-standard in the jumbo size.

I have this set 6 Piece Metric Jumbo Combination Wrench Set

Has a 35, 38, 41, 45, 48, and 50mm. they were out of the standard when I went. But....

35mm = 1.377" = about 0.002 larger than 1-3/8. works just fine:thumbsup:
38mm = 1.496" = about 0.004 smaller than 1-1/2. works well also
41mm = 1.614" = about 0.011 smaller than 1-5/8. Also works
45mm = 1.771" = about 0.021 larger than 1-3/4. works
48mm = 1.889" = about 0.014 larger than 1-7/8. works
50mm = 1.968" = about 0.032 smaller than 2". works.

I actually engraved the inch size on them for easy reference. On sizes that big, a few thousandths is no big deal. Honestly, if I had to guess, they probably split the difference, and just actually make one set of wrenches. Just label them differently.

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe
Gentlemen,
I truly appreciate your input.
Hail to all of you who openly share their experience and knowledge.
This is a education I could find nowhere else.
Best,
ak

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #35  
Gentlemen,
I truly appreciate your input.
Hail to all of you who openly share their experience and knowledge.
This is a education I could find nowhere else.
Best,
ak

No problem. Thats what we/this forum is all about :thumbsup: