Least complicated used loader backhoe

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #1  

gabtrac

Hi everyone,
I've been in the market for a used loader backhoe for quite a while. I'll be doing a lot with the machine. Foundations, stump removal, road making, clearing and levelling.
I'd like to find a deal in the 12-15k range so...
I'm mechanically minded and capable. But I've been warned away from certain used machines because reapirs are crazy complicated for a guy like me.
So I'm putting it out there - what used loader backhoe would you recommend that has relatively easy to obtain parts and repairability by a non mechanic ?
I've been mostly looking at anything Case, but am completely open minded. Something over 45hp, and under 85hp. I understand there will be compromises.
Thanks for all your help - I love this forum!

Best,
alex

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #3  
How big are you looking weight wise??

The case 580 (older ones) and Ford 555 seem to be pleantiful. But they are full-sized and at the upper end of your HP range.

And ALL of them can be harder to work on at times. Just depends on what and where.

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe
Thanks for your reply.
The 580C ia a nice size. But have also considered a 580 SE. The SE would probably be on the upper end for weight... but I'd be happy to go a little bigger if it's, easier for parts and maintenance.

ak

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #5  
I am not really familiar with all the 580's and what the letters all mean. About all I know is the newer ones have higher letters.....

That's quite a compromise... but thanks. I didn't know they sold that stuff. Looks like they assemble it too.
Cheers,
ak

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #7  
Deere by far and away is the one with the best parts support. There are a couple of 1960's Deere back hoes not far from me still used today. One is used by a septic installer and he uses it all the time. The other is used by a farmer.

I don't know about parts support today but there are a lot of ford 555's around. Case and New holland (Ford) are under one company now, so if one is hard to get parts for, the other probably is also for older units.

I ran a 1980's Case backhoe for a short time. Didn't like it much. The controls were just to jerky for me, and I know of a few other machines that I was told were the same way. Of the older machines, again I liked Deere, but Ford was very close.

Cat would probably not be in your price range. They seem to hold their value way beyond the others and I'm not sure why other than, it's a Cat. Yet the early ones were sourced with Case and Ford parts from what I have read.

Some Kubota's might fall into that range, they would be on the lower end of the HP and not a full sized machine.

Of course I don't know any machine that can be repaired 100% of the time by a non-mechanic. They all have points that can be hard to repair.

Ya LD1 I hear ya. I've been trying to make sense of the naming system. Still can't figure it out completely.

Cheers,
a

Any particular Deere model you would sugest that fits my "bill"?

Thanks,
a

/ Least complicated used loader backhoe #10  
Any particular Deere model you would sugest that fits my "bill"?

Thanks,
a

Almost any will do. The ones not far from me I believe one is a 300B the other a 500A. They are old though, from the late 1960's.

Any 310 or 410 would do what you would like done. Those were the 1st true backhoes, the 300 and 500's were really industrial tractors with backhoe parts. Still good machines but not as well built as the newer backhoes.