MF dozer ID, and advice

/ MF dozer ID, and advice #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
My neighbor has one of everything it seems, and this little dozer has been parked behind his shop for 2-3 years (bought a much bigger Case). It sat for 2 years, but started right away when he needed to move it recently....it runs well, but developed a hydraulic leak while sitting. It runs so well he was actually considering pulling the engine to save for a future project, and scrapping the rest of the machine. He swears the UC is in good shape, but I've run tracked machines before, but know very little about maintaining them...the sprockets and shoes look okay, but I have no idea about the pins, links, bushings, etc (trying to study up on the topic).

He has to dig up the manuals, and couldn't recall if it's a 2244, or 200...any idea?

He would probably sell it to me for little more than scrap value, and I have plenty of dirt to move, and trails to cut....and it's literally across the street. Assuming it needed a new hydraulic pump ($500), and all new hoses, would it be worth giving him $1000 or so? The tach says 2,500 hours, but it may have been broken for a long time. Thoughts? Yes, I know MF dozer parts can be hard to obtain since they were made overseas, and only for a few years.

null_zps7c5f831e.jpg

null_zps3848b58c.jpg

null_zps482e27d8.jpg

/ MF dozer ID, and advice #2  
I would look on the hydraulic pump and try to find manufacturers name and model number, then begin calling around to either find a replacement or having it rebuilt. He is selling it at about scrap metal price, so you cannot go too wrong in buying it.

/ MF dozer ID, and advice
I would look on the hydraulic pump and try to find manufacturers name and model number, then begin calling around to either find a replacement or having it rebuilt. He is selling it at about scrap metal price, so you cannot go too wrong in buying it.
Thanks....that's kind of what I was thinking. I did some research, and the pump for both the 200 and 2244 was also used on farm tractors, so they're readily available. If that turns out to hold true, I expect it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to rebuild it, and even if I have to go new, it won't break the bank. My thought was if I can keep it to something like $2-3K total, there's no way to go wrong.

/ MF dozer ID, and advice #4  
I was able to get a factory rebuilt hydraulic pump(Cessna) from International Harvester for my IH. The cost was not cheap, but reasonable.

I would change hydraulic fluid and filters after it has been sitting that long. I am sure it will be milky.

/ MF dozer ID, and advice #5  
If the price is close to scrap price I don't think you can go wrong. Especially if you have a use for it. Might have some difficulty finding parts but all parts anymore, seems to me, comes at a premium price. But what are you going to do. If the manufacture is the only one that sells the part you have to pay what they are charging. Good luck if you do purchase.

I was able to get a factory rebuilt hydraulic pump(Cessna) from International Harvester for my IH. The cost was not cheap, but reasonable.

I would change hydraulic fluid and filters after it has been sitting that long. I am sure it will be milky.

Yeah, I would definitely change all the fluid and filters....no idea how long it's been in there.

If the price is close to scrap price I don't think you can go wrong. Especially if you have a use for it. Might have some difficulty finding parts but all parts anymore, seems to me, comes at a premium price. But what are you going to do. If the manufacture is the only one that sells the part you have to pay what they are charging. Good luck if you do purchase.

I definitely have a use for it, and you're right, it seems like parts for everything are expensive!

So, I wound up buying it from him for $1k this weekend. It started right up, but the shuttle shift control feels like it isn't connected to anything in the tranny....so it won't move now. The blade and ripper both work perfectly, so now I need to get a manual, and parts manual, and do some research. Surprisingly, the tranny fluid looked very clean. The oil is a bit dark, but not terrible.

Oh, i found the data plate, and its a 2244 as i suspected. We'll see what happens!

B4DB448F-AF9B-4149-8894-6FE5921D8F37_zpspdqsjce0.jpg

33FF150E-ED98-40DF-9B16-9E4CEBE27572_zpscw1fqttz.jpg

3218B85F-A1BA-42D2-A0CD-FADD7B751D46_zpsbk9n89wi.jpg

11E49C41-0A9A-4F43-8098-07BBA06E8DEF_zpsbn3xpzo5.jpg

5DEEB755-CFC7-4F07-8837-94E58D019684_zpsvxalk104.jpg

/ MF dozer ID, and advice #9  
Great pictures. Great find..... even if it was across the street! That sure will make some nice trails for ya.
Let us know what happened with the tranny?!? Let's hope for just a broken connection.
More pics when you use it please.