Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left

/ Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left #1  

jamessid2

Tractor
Komatsu D31S-16
I own a Komatsu D31S-16 SN 28564 loader which has steering levers or sticks. The loader will not turn left when I pull back on the left lever. It does not work in forward or reverse. I have tried adjusting the steering brake but this didn't help. Can someone give me some ideas on what to check.

/ Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left #2  
Did it do this gradually, or all at once. Just disengaging the steering clutch, and no brake, it should at least make a slow gradual turn. Sounds like the steering clutch is not disengaging. It may have toasted your steering brake, if it doesn't at least sound like it's pulling down some.

If the steering brake is working at all, it should pull it down some if the clutch is not disengaging, through the cross shaft, trying to stop both sides.

/ Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left #3  
Sounds like the steering clutch is not releasing. Does the engine lug slightly when you pull back on the left lever?

/ Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left
No, the engine does not lug. Normally the steering levers are even with each other. When it stopped turning left I noticed the left lever was back about 2 inches more than the right one.

/ Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left #5  
You may have a linkage issue that is not allowing the lever to control turning properly. A 2 inch difference may not allow the control to engage or perform properly.

/ Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left #6  
No, the engine does not lug. Normally the steering levers are even with each other. When it stopped turning left I noticed the left lever was back about 2 inches more than the right one.

I believe you have more than one issue here. If the steering clutch was releasing at all you would get some turning, even without the brake. The fact that the engine doesn't lug suggests that the brake lining is gone and the brake is ineffective.

/ Komatsu D31S-16 Will Not Turn Left
You may have a linkage issue that is not allowing the lever to control turning properly. A 2 inch difference may not allow the control to engage or perform properly.

I have adjusted linkage and it caused the left track to lock up. It would not release. All I could do is go left. I had to readjust linkage back to where it was set to get the left track to release. I'm back to the same problem of not being able to turn left.