What is this mystery part on my skidsteer??

/ What is this mystery part on my skidsteer?? #1  

rehoboth

Hi All, I am working on a prime mover 1200 skidsteer that I received in parts. I cannot figure out what this part on the machine is, and the manual does not show it either. It looks like a shaft, riding through a bearing, that is attached to a solid block of steel within the chain housing. It is not hooked up to anything, and only rotates 30ー or so? Help? Also does anyone know anything about the engine? Per the manual it is a chrysler H-98, but I can find no info online about the engine at all.

/ What is this mystery part on my skidsteer?? #2  
My best guess is the shaft going into the chain case is for Park Brake. A disc would fit over the splines of the motor shaft, resting against that snap ring to keep it away from the chain, and disc would ride between the 2 steel blocks/plates that shaft goes into. When you turn the shaft it would apply force against the disc.
No idea on the engine.

/ What is this mystery part on my skidsteer??
My best guess is the shaft going into the chain case is for Park Brake. A disc would fit over the splines of the motor shaft, resting against that snap ring to keep it away from the chain, and disc would ride between the 2 steel blocks/plates that shaft goes into. When you turn the shaft it would apply force against the disc.
No idea on the engine.

That makes sense, I wonder why it was never mentioned in the manual? Does not look like it was ever hooked up so I won't worry about it.

/ What is this mystery part on my skidsteer?? #4  
It looks like you are missing the brake discs, which would have corresponding notches (for the blocks to set in) around the periphery. It may have been an option that was never installed, or the brakes wouldn't release due to a failed actuating cylinder and the discs removed. The engine appears to be a Mitsubishi K series gasoline engine. This engine was very popular in the day and powered a lot of different equipment including pumps, forklifts, light trucks, etc.

It looks like you are missing the brake discs, which would have corresponding notches (for the blocks to set in) around the periphery. It may have been an option that was never installed, or the brakes wouldn't release due to a failed actuating cylinder and the discs removed. The engine appears to be a Mitsubishi K series gasoline engine. This engine was very popular in the day and powered a lot of different equipment including pumps, forklifts, light trucks, etc.

I was not able to find any info on the mitsubishi K series engines. Do you have any links or other info? The manual says it is a 1.6l 98ci, chrysler h-98, but I cannot find any info on that at all.

/ What is this mystery part on my skidsteer?? #6  
I was not able to find any info on the mitsubishi K series engines. Do you have any links or other info? The manual says it is a 1.6l 98ci, chrysler h-98, but I cannot find any info on that at all.

I have a Mitsubishi K4 diesel engine in my excavator which looks very similar, and I know they also made gasoline and natural gas versions also. Another thing came to mind is that back in the '70's and '80's Chrysler had a marketing alliance with Nissan Motors and rebranded their diesel and gas engines as well as a few of their cars. Check all over the engine for numbers and see if they match up to any here: List of Nissan engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The info is out there. I was able to find a complete service and parts manual for my engine.
What year is your skid steer?

I have a Mitsubishi K4 diesel engine in my excavator which looks very similar, and I know they also made gasoline and natural gas versions also. Another thing came to mind is that back in the '70's and '80's Chrysler had a marketing alliance with Nissan Motors and rebranded their diesel and gas engines as well as a few of their cars. Check all over the engine for numbers and see if they match up to any here: List of Nissan engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The info is out there. I was able to find a complete service and parts manual for my engine.
What year is your skid steer?

I figured out it is a chrysler engine from a partnership they did will hillman/rootes in the UK. It is the same engine put in the hillman avenger and plymouth cricket in the 70's. The engine was made in south america until the late 80's.

The block has a casting date of 1981 and is 1598cc, and has a zenith updraft carb. what a wierd combo!

/ What is this mystery part on my skidsteer?? #8  
I figured out it is a chrysler engine from a partnership they did will hillman/rootes in the UK. It is the same engine put in the hillman avenger and plymouth cricket in the 70's. The engine was made in south america until the late 80's.

The block has a casting date of 1981 and is 1598cc, and has a zenith updraft carb. what a wierd combo!

Agreed, that is a unique combination. Could possibly be a collector's item :laughing:. Glad it's all sorted out for you now. Good luck. :thumbsup: