Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers

/ Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers #1  

diesel lover

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,
I was just wondering how well it paid off to run a machine with rubber tracks on it. It seems unfortunately that any skidsteer running tires seems to get stuck very easy in mud or light snow. I see people running steel tracks over their tires all the time but im told the huge down side is the metal tracks over tires eat up tires sidewalls and tread over time.

How well do rubber tracked loaders (skidsteers) do on snow and ice compared to similar machines fitted with tires? How would a rubber tracked loader compare to a 4wd compact utility tractor in mud or snow?

Im a lot more of a tractor man myself. I don't own a skidsteer but have operated a tracked loader. I really like how much it could push, pull, and lift easily and fit/ turn in small spaces.

/ Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers #2  
The tracks of course float better over the ground and do not have as much psi on the ground. The part I dislike is Bobcat saying to figure 8 dollars per operation for track replacement when bidding jobs. Idlers, and tracks are expensive,but that still seems like alot..

/ Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers #3  
I have tracks and use them on the equivalent of beach sand on my property in he Desert. No tractor, truck, vehicle that does not have 4x4 can go more than a few feet in the "beach sand". When I first bought the place I rented a 2WD tractor, they dropped it off and I buried it 4 feet into the property. The truck driver never made it back to the shop when I called and said - come pick this POS up and bring me a 4x4, because the kid at the desk said the 2WD would be just fine. With the last Kubota I had which was a 4x4 it even got stuck pretty often, and flat tires on a weekly basis. Going on 7 years now with no flat and I have never been stuck, it floats over the sand, mud etc. The lift capacity is 3 times what I had with the Kubota. 1,500 lbs to 4,500 lbs.
I was just working in a huge brush thicket of mesquite wood, and the track loader ate through the brush like a mad man. I never looked back at the traditional tractor, I never plowed with mine or cut grass. The track loader is the Victorinox of tractors as far as I'm concerned.

/ Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers
I have tracks and use them on the equivalent of beach sand on my property in he Desert. No tractor, truck, vehicle that does not have 4x4 can go more than a few feet in the "beach sand". When I first bought the place I rented a 2WD tractor, they dropped it off and I buried it 4 feet into the property. The truck driver never made it back to the shop when I called and said - come pick this POS up and bring me a 4x4, because the kid at the desk said the 2WD would be just fine. With the last Kubota I had which was a 4x4 it even got stuck pretty often, and flat tires on a weekly basis. Going on 7 years now with no flat and I have never been stuck, it floats over the sand, mud etc. The lift capacity is 3 times what I had with the Kubota. 1,500 lbs to 4,500 lbs.
I was just working in a huge brush thicket of mesquite wood, and the track loader ate through the brush like a mad man. I never looked back at the traditional tractor, I never plowed with mine or cut grass. The track loader is the Victorinox of tractors as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't think about sand. Floatation is certainly needed in sand for sure. I imagine rubber tracks work well in that case! There would be nothing better than tracks in that case due to the floatation needed. I don't like the price of replacing tracks at all. its crazy expensive

I can see through the youtube videos how well over the tire tracks do in the mud. I don't like how they tend to wear out tires but I bet that still cost a lot less than wearing replacing rubber tracks.

I wonder how well rubber tracks/ steel tracks do while pushing moving snow as compared to a 4wd cut. I wonder how well a skidsteer with steel/ rubber tracks does on the ice? We have a john deere skidsteer at my new job with rubber tracks. They used that to plow all winter with a box on it. Its a good looking machine!!

/ Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers #6  
I was just wondering how well it paid off to run a machine with rubber tracks on it. It seems unfortunately that any skidsteer running tires seems to get stuck very easy in mud or light snow. I see people running steel tracks over their tires all the time but im told the huge down side is the metal tracks over tires eat up tires sidewalls and tread over time.

They make a solid rubber tire specifically for use with the steel tracks. I'm sure they are expensive, but I think part of the problem is guys first try a wide high float tire to over come the weakness of wheeled machine; realize it doesn't help much and then put steel tracks on the high floats instead of the thinner tires the tracks are made for. There is also an after market track under carriage sold for the bigger JD wheeled skids; but I think the system is ~$12,000.

/ Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers #7  
I don't like the over the tire tracks if thats what your referring to steel or rubber. I hear they strain the drive motors significantly. I had an ASV and that thing was awesome in soft ground. Logering is the company who makes that aftermarked UC the above poster was talking about. They will fit any skid steer and can be found on Iron planet pretty cheap sometimes. Just make sure they are the size you need for your machine. I almost went that route and eveyone I spoke with said you will never take them off once you feel the performance of the tracks. Plus the add quite a bit or weight and width to the machine so I would have had to buy wider buckets and such.

I don't like the over the tire tracks if thats what your referring to steel or rubber. I hear they strain the drive motors significantly. I had an ASV and that thing was awesome in soft ground. Logering is the company who makes that aftermarked UC the above poster was talking about. They will fit any skid steer and can be found on Iron planet pretty cheap sometimes. Just make sure they are the size you need for your machine. I almost went that route and eveyone I spoke with said you will never take them off once you feel the performance of the tracks. Plus the add quite a bit or weight and width to the machine so I would have had to buy wider buckets and such.

Makes sense that over the tire tracks would strain the motors significantly. When one motor is turning a wheel its forcing the other wheel to turn. At least that's what my reasoning would be if that is the case.

Makes sense that people are using tires that are additionally too wide in over the tire tracks as well.

So does anyone have any input on how well a tracked skidsteer does on snow and ice as compared to a 4wd CUT?

/ Rubber tracks vs tires on skidsteers #9  
I have used many different tire/track configurations on skidsteers, the best thing i have found is over the tire tracks. They have awesome traction when you need it but when you dont they are easy to remove, and then you arent wearing out thousands of dollars worth of undercarriage. The problem people have when the tracks eat up the sidewall is usually caused by running the wrong size tire or the tracks are too loose. Also you must run a high quality tire with the tracks, and dont get a cheap set of tracks. Get a Grouser or McLaren tracks.
The problems with rubber track machines is the upkeep, rough riding and they dont have quite as much traction as the over the tire tracks. The only things a rubber track machine has going for it is really good flotation in mud and snow, and they wont tear up the ground like a steel track will. But if you really want a rubber track machine, look for an Terex, or Asv, they have the best undercarriage of any comparable skidsteer.

Thanks for the reply Equipmentpro99. From what I have decided, the best way for me to complete large projects when I buy my first house would be renting equipment at times of need. It would be ok to rent a backhoe or tracked loader for so much money a day if I did not have regular use for it year round. I know people that rent skidsteers etc for plowing snow at businesses and I think its a great idea as long as you are making back a good investment from what you had to pay to rent the equipment. Equipment breaking down while snow plowing can get costly for sure. I cant believe how some people make money on it with how much equipment and parts cost now. I have rented trailers every few months lately here to accomplish different task. I see it very affordable as well to rent trailers because one day I will need a car dolly, another I will need a u haul 6x12 enclosed trailer, another day I will need a car dolly to move my tool box and etc.