Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,

Default Tell me what you think of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uu9-lReXSM

Are mini excavators really faster and more fuel efficient when digging? A backhoe has DOZENS more uses though in all honesty. Thanks

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 3720 W/300cx Loader

Default Re: Tell me what you think of this video

What would happen if they switched operators?

Apples to oranges, the tractor loader backhoe is a jack of all trades and master of none. A small contractor with few employees and small volumes to do will have one because one operator can do the whole job eventually. If you have serious volumes of work to do you use an excavator of appropriate size to dig and a loader to move material and backfill. I see mini excavators more and more on jobs where space is tight and digging depths shallow, say less then six feet. But there is usually at least one TLB on site if not a full loader.

Before we first bought our l45 I was thinking at a little shovel but when you want to move material....that's the problem so now you need another tractor with dump wagon. Yes a little shovel Is way more efficient at digging. but for must guys who have a property and need to do a multitude of things a Backhoe is just way to go I have put many hours on a KX 161 digging ditches let me just say it would of took me 3 times longer with the l45 but we also needed a 57 horse kubota tractor with dump trailer to keep up to the KX

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

I agree with the video. Hard to beat an excavator when it comes to digging.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

For digging only, an EX is much faster than a TLB but that is all it can do is dig unless you have a dump truck standing by to take all the spoils as the EX digs them up, you are left with piles of dirt that then have to be loaded a backhoe bucket load at a time with the EX. Put both tasks together having them both dig a hole then load the spoil in a dump truck. I think you will find that the TLB while taking a bit longer to dig will load out much faster than the EX can.
    One thing not mentioned in the video is the better flotation of the tracked rig which may necessitate its use in some circumstances also. Another thing I like about an excavator is the 360 degree swing compared to at most 180 for a TLB, this also is handy when digging out a ditch or pond so you can put the spoil back away from the work area.

Both of these pieces of equipment have their strong points and on a construction site, you will see both of them used. For home owner or small landscaping business a TLB is the most versatile and most used piece of equipment, BUT that doesn't mean that we could sometimes need to rent an EX for a day or two to complete a certain task.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Many

With a better driver in the JCB the result would be very different , This is an ad trying to sell you mini excavators remember .

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Why wouldn't the JCB operator have used the FEL to fill the trench instead of the backhoe bucket?
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Why wouldn't the JCB operator have used the FEL to fill the trench instead of the backhoe bucket?
    Exactly.
    He had plenty of room
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

The excavator is much more versatile when it comes to almost any kind of digging except when you have to move the spoils, then the TLB is the better of the two. IMHO, I think I have the best combination for that: A mini-ex and a skid steer. It's an unbeatable combination for small jobs. My backhoe is just gathering dust since I got the mini-ex.

You also have to remember who made the video, and why.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast