Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #1  

Pushrod_Paul

Tractor
John Deere 755 mfwd JD 450B Crawler Dozer
Hi y'all.
There is a 1972 Case 450 dozer for sale about 10 miles from my farm in WV. I would really like to purchase it for around the property instead of constantly sinking money into having someone come out and do the work for me. The owner recently died and the son is selling it for more than I think its worth ($9k). Its pretty beat up but the undercarrage looks decent to my untrained eyes and he says it runs strong. He did say that the idler bushings are worn but he has new ones to go with the dozer. It also comes with a winch that is not attached. I took a bunch of pictures of it so if someone with a trained eye wants to see a different angle I can email them the pic or pics. No hour gauge, so I have no idea how many hours are on it. It used to have a 6-way blade, but the hydraulic lines and piston are gone. Don't know how hard it would be to make it 6-way again. A small section of track is missing off of the starboard track.

So what is the value on a machine in this shape running?
Thanks.

IMG_0493.jpg

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #2  
I'll keep it simple. Its tough to price old machines. I like to say its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Come up with a price you are comfortable with and make an offer. I don't think the owner will see 9k for a 42 year old machine.

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer
I'll keep it simple. Its tough to price old machines. I like to say its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Come up with a price you are comfortable with and make an offer. I don't think the owner will see 9k for a 42 year old machine.

The thing is I don't want to be paying for something that I am immediately going to have to sink a ton more money into either, unless I get it for a price that includes what I'll have to put into it. Such as, what will it cost to have the idler bushings replaced and is that something a home mechanic could do themselves?

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #4  
From what I can see, the tracks , drive sprockets and front rollers are next to new.:thumbsup: Odd that the idlers didn't get taken care of at the same time. But he might have run out of $$$ and just put it back together. Had intentions of taken care of them, just never got to it. :( You can usually get std after market cylinders to get the blade back in operation, not a lot of $$$, but it all starts to add up by the time that you are done. If you pay someone to do the work, plan on it costing at least double what the parts are going to be. To be honest, these machines are only a deal for someone that can and will do all the repairs and maintenance themselves. Nice machines to have on hand, that's for sure.

Here's some pics of my 310 Case.;)

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 1,755
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 1,089
  • P1010101.JPG
    P1010101.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 2,651
Looks like a well kept up dozer MtnViewRanch. I don't mind doing the work on the dozer myself, I do all the repairs on my JD tractor. I just know there are some things that can't be done without expensive specitalty tools. I didn't know if the idlers were one of those.
Do any of you think that $7500 would be a fair offer on the 450?

Here is a closer view of the undercarrage of the 450.
IMG_0477.jpg

And here is one of the blade area.

IMG_0485.jpg

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #7  
It only needs the tilt cylinder, shouldn't be a problem. :cool: I would go lower than the $7500, maybe 6k. All he can do is say no. It's an old machine that is only good for a home owner. Any idea what other machines similar to this go for in your area. I personally have had pretty good luck with older machines, but maybe I'm just lucky that way????

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #8  
The missing track pad is an easy fix.

So is the tilt cylinder, but that's not cheap.

I think that model will have the Case engine. The newer ones (early 80's and up) have a Cummins. IIRC

It will also have dry brakes, and they probably don't work. That's not a problem, if you learn how to run it. It has a "dual" transmission. (that's what the two middle sticks are between your legs)

And, like others have said, I would give him a low-ball offer. You don't want to get in too deep on an old machine like this.

BTW, the idlers are the big wheels up front. They don't have bushings, they have bearings. He may be referring to the top "rollers." That's the roller in the middle on the top. Bottom rollers are underneath, about 5 on each side.

/ Need an opinion on a '72 Case 450 dozer #9  
Current scrap iron price is around $65.00/ton. I'd start with that for a lowball.

The missing track pad is an easy fix.

So is the tilt cylinder, but that's not cheap.

I think that model will have the Case engine. The newer ones (early 80's and up) have a Cummins. IIRC

It will also have dry brakes, and they probably don't work. That's not a problem, if you learn how to run it. It has a "dual" transmission. (that's what the two middle sticks are between your legs)

And, like others have said, I would give him a low-ball offer. You don't want to get in too deep on an old machine like this.

BTW, the idlers are the big wheels up front. They don't have bushings, they have bearings. He may be referring to the top "rollers." That's the roller in the middle on the top. Bottom rollers are underneath, about 5 on each side.

I think your correct about it being the rollers. How difficult are they to change out?