Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Default Re: Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe

Just wondering how you run the loaders differently?

I have a 2wd how, and a small 4wd tractor. When talking about a 2wd hoe (full sized) as long as its dry, even if I had 4wd it would not get used. Only time it would be is if I am out when I shouldn't be.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25D

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Just wondering how you run the loaders differently?

I have a 2wd how, and a small 4wd tractor. When talking about a 2wd hoe (full sized) as long as its dry, even if I had 4wd it would not get used. Only time it would be is if I am out when I shouldn't be.
    I was going to explain that in the post but was running short of time. With a 4wd when you go to scoop material you go in low and apply some power while you roll the bucket with 2wd you need to get a good fill on the initial hit of the pile and shave the edge to fill the buckets or pull the head down first. With 2wd you can't just hit the pile apply power like in a 4wd, you get that light tail and spin the tires which is a big no no. Also how you go about dozing is different. The amount you can doze, the distance you can doze it, and the material you can doze on.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by RodSerling View Post
    I was going to explain that in the post but was running short of time. With a 4wd when you go to scoop material you go in low and apply some power while you roll the bucket with 2wd you need to get a good fill on the initial hit of the pile and shave the edge to fill the buckets or pull the head down first. With 2wd you can't just hit the pile apply power like in a 4wd, you get that light tail and spin the tires which is a big no no. Also how you go about dozing is different. The amount you can doze, the distance you can doze it, and the material you can doze on.
    How you describe using 4wd is how I use my 2wd. Again, dry ground is key. Muddy or smeary and I can see 4wd doing better. But I have never had traction issues on dry ground, with either pushing piles back in the trench, or pushing into a pile to load.

But then again, "full-sized" starts at ~11000-12000#. My 2wd is a good bit more than that. I dont see a 12000# 4wd being able to push as much as I can on dry ground. If I had a lighter machine, it would be different though. But for me, when shopping for an older used hoe in my budget, bigger was actually cheaper. So I guess I use shear weight as a replacement for 4wd. Just gotta know when its too wet/soft to be productive.

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

I've got a 2wd JCB 1550B. I bought it as a novice user.

I understand the benefits a 4wd will have over a 2wd and would love to have a 4wd machine.

For the last 10 or more years of using this 2wd, I've only been stuck once and that was when the lake was down and I was 'dredging' the boat ramp area which was muck. (machine was I ended up sinking to my axel and frankly, don't know that 4wd alone would have helped. Being able to pogo out with the backhoe did however, let me pull myself out.

For a homeowner (like me who doesn't use equipment commercially), I'd venture to say that a 2wd machine is 'fine & dandy' but, if you can afford a 4wd, it is certainly nice to have for those moments when you can use the extra oomph.

Bronze Member

Would love to find an open cab 555 with extendahoe.2wd would be ok I guess with fewer moving parts.I am not really in wet greasy spots,just alot of field work on fairly level ground.I did buy a project 800 Ford industrial yrs back but it turned into a nightmare and got rid of it.But something like that with a 12' hoe would be ideal for me.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Never a fan of the extends hoes. More parts to move and wear and grease. More hydraulics and hoses. And just one more function to learn to control. But that's just my opinion.

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Never a fan of the extends hoes. More parts to move and wear and grease. More hydraulics and hoses. And just one more function to learn to control. But that's just my opinion.
    na, i loved the extendahoe i used to set light standards in parking lots. had to dig down ridiculous depths to set caissons. those extenda-hoes could do the job.

After you use the 4 stick controllers for any length of time, it all became second nature. The 2 side stick controllers took all the fun out of the job haha
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Veteran Member

I got stuck once on wet grass and had to use 4x4 to get going. I get that some have had luck with 2wd, I would never have any tractor or even vehicle I drive that is not 4x4. When you need 4x4 it saves your day. I'm in sand so 4x4 is a must. I rented non 4x4 when I bought the land, they rental company dropped it off and I was buried before the drive got to the end of the block.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123