Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #1  

milkie62

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800,Ford 801,MF 65, Kubota L305
Was going to get a backhoe attachment for my Kubota M6800.After all said and done new will be in the $12-13k range.I have seen some open cab Ford 555 2wd in the $8-10k range.It is only used around my property.Open cab is ideal for my wood road repair.I am not really in soft ground with it but I have some hilly terrain.Will the frontend be too light without 4wd going uphills ? Seems like I could also save about $4-5k going with a 2wd machine.Any input would be appreciated.

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #2  
A 2wd hoe can always pull or push itself with the hoe. 4wd is handy to have on one when using the loader.

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #3  
There is so much weight on the rear wheels when you have a backhoe on, I think you would be fine. I don't know your property, but 2WD backhoes were the norm for years. As was mentioned, it is hard to get a backhoe stuck. Where 2WD does not work well is with a loader and without rear ballast. Just keep the backhoe on, it is a great rear ballast. It you ever lose traction, drop your FEL load, extend the dipper and drop the boom. You will get nearly all your weight on the drive wheels.

Last edited:
   / Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #4  
I have never regretted spending the money on a 4WD backhoe.

Yep, I can push and pull with the hoe too, but it is lot harder to steer the front wheels while doing this. I can extend the hoe back to put more weight on the rear wheels, and I can extend it to either side to help prevent a turnover, but any of these things make the vigilance necessary for just maneuvering much higher. Unless you are an experienced operator, there are safety issues you should consider.

You save $4-5k, but the cost of this is a second, pretty old, machine to maintain, and possibly a bad accident. I don't put enough hours on my machine as is, but with a second one, my maintenance would more than double.

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #5  
Having two tractors gives you flexibility. Particularly when not having to detach a backhoe just to use the 3 pt. Even with quick attach, I still find myself not wanting to do it any more than I have to. I am a fan of more tractors. When properly maintained they cost you next to nothing anyway.

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #6  
IF the ground is firm, a 2wd hoe will go about anywhere a 4wd one will. ANd even doing loader work, on something like a 555 that is ~13k lbs, you shouldnt have much issue. But keep that weight in mind when conditions are less than ideal. Thy aint lawn mowers. The make big ruts and sink quickly on soft ground.

The only times I wish mine were 4wd is when backfilling trenches and it is too wet and smeary on top. Cant push as much. But if I have too much trouble, I just go to the other side of the trench and pull in the dirt with the hoe.

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #7  
You will be fine with a 2wd. As other pointed out the weight on the axle helps a bunch.

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #8  
Ive used the 555 series over the years. its a beast. Mind you i mainly used it on pavement back in calif, but it was so heavy nothing stopped it.

I guess it all depends on the terrain your using it on. What i find is that 4x4 are NEEDED on the smaller tractors to get much use from them, but not as necessary on the larger , heavier units. I still see lots of 4x2 backhoes on construction sites. But these are old units.....need to get someone that knows about them to give them a good looking over. Its very expensive to fix some of these machines. And some are so loose that trying to dig a trench is a pain in the butt

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #9  
I would go with a 2 WD used machine before spending that kind of money to tie up my main tractor with a hoe. It is much more versatile to have the hoe available at the touch of a key than to have to put it on (or off) to use your tractor. Some pretty good machines can be had for the kind of money you are talking about. I would much rather have a lower hour 2 WD unit than a higher hour 4 WD for the same money. On CUT machines, I wouldn't even think of a hoe on a 2 WD but on a large heavy commercial unit like a 310 or 555, either would work well in 2 WD.

/ Can I get by with a 2wd backhoe #10  
My father was a self employed excavator-he supported our family and built a business using nothing but Case 2wd backhoes from 1964-1982. He did buy a 4wd in '82, and my brother has had them ever since he took the business over-but there are probably 1,000 septic systems, a 100 basements, and 100 miles of tile ditches in the area he dug with a 2wd hoe.

Will