JCB 212 hourmeter fix

/ JCB 212 hourmeter fix #1  

Barnbuilder

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat A300, Kubota F3680, JCB 212S sold
I purchased a new hourmeter from JCB which was almost $700. I thought it would be easy to replace with the factory replacement. But when I plugged it in the hour and tachometer didn't work. I recieved some help from another gentleman on heavyequipmentforums.com. He found that Sumiit Racing offered a VDO guage almost like it. The OEM is a VDO. I ordered the VDO 33-961 from Summit. Its just like the original except the face is black and reads to 3000 rpm. In a thread from the other gentleman found it said that the pc board continued to keep track of hours even if the lcd was bad so I plugged the new lcd into the old pc. and got this:

So I split the pc's from the lcd's on both gauges. Removed the faces and put the old face on the new hourmeter. And put the new hourmeter on the old pc. And got this:

Hope this will be a help to someone else.

/ JCB 212 hourmeter fix #2  
That was some nice reverse engineering :thumbsup:
Did you ever figure out why the new OEM replacement didn't work?
Was the original problem with yours the LCD was bad?
Curious if now the tach needle calibration is off 500 r/m.

/ JCB 212 hourmeter fix
No. I'm sure I could have made it work. There was no schematic with the new JCB meter. So there was no labeling on any of the wires and there were more wires with the pigtail than the original. The new meter could not be disassembled. Plus seeing I could save over $500 it made up my mind pretty easy. I purchased machine in 2004 with 750 hours on it. The meter went out around 780 hrs.

The machine idles at 700 rpm. As you can see the new gauge shows 800. I was more concerned with rpm range when using the hoe where the green marks are on the gauge. Didn't want it too high. The new gauge can be adjusted for idle speed but I just left it as is. I would rather it show higher than it actuall is.

I used my savings to purchase a ssqa plate from skidsteersolutions.com to weld to the JCB qa mount. Now you see where I was headed?

/ JCB 212 hourmeter fix #5  
Barnbuilder:...Old thread, but lets see some pics of your 212.:)

/ JCB 212 hourmeter fix
Barnbuilder:...Old thread, but lets see some pics of your 212.:)

There are several in the "For Sale Section".

If you need help with anything let me know.

Thanks
Greg