Solid Backhoe for $35K possible?

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
For a number of reasons, I'm considering getting a backhoe rather than a larger tractor with cab. I'm really only using a tractor to mow/brush hog, drag logs, move downed trees, etc....more loader work than anything. I may add a snow thrower for the winter, but my Massey can handle that just fine. I'm at a point where most of my projects are going to be moving dirt, building berms (shooting range), digging out culvert areas, installing long french drains, removing a septic field (working on my dozer for that project), grading asphalt millings, etc.

With all of that in mind, I'm thinking I might be better off with a backhoe, but they're obviously more expensive. Do you think it's possible to find something solid for around $35K, which is what I was going to spend on a cabbed tractor. The only thing I'd really like is that it has a cab with heat and A/C. I think everything else is pretty negotiable because I don't have any requirements that would really limit me with any normal backhoe.

Any makes/models to look for, or stay away from?

As far as hours and reliability go, are there any general guidelines people go by?

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #2  
Go look at some and see what hours they have vs what kind of shape they are in. Most of the Case 580's I looked at with over 4-5000 hours were not worn out but getting there. You would just bump the boom to one side and the bucket would shake like a cow bell. For your budget you can get a real decent machine if ya ask me. Mine had about 2500 hours on it and 20 years old. The backhoe was the tightest one I had looked at. So look for sloppy pins, bad welds, hyd. hoses with bulges. I got rid of my 20HP tractor due to the anemic loader and moved up to a 40HP rig. In hindsight I probably would have been better off with an 7-10,000lb mini excavator. It is nice knowing the 580K can lift twice of what the Kioti can but often I just used the Kioti because I have pallet forks for it. Some guys are leery of new paint but mine could use paint on the front end. I suspect it was used at a quarry loading rock as the hood is sandblasted right where rock would spill over the back of the bucket.

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #3  
GManBart - have you given any thought to the mid size commercial duty Kubotas ? (smaller than a full size hoe but very capable) I just seen a 45hp with LOW hrs (something like 150ish) that was in very nice shape for 32K. Heck of a nice machine for the money. You can also get a 3pt hitch for the rear as an add on

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #4  
Here's a link to United Rentals. All the rental companies sell off their older inventory and replace with new machines.
Also, most equipment dealers have rental and lease backhoes for sale.
You should be able to get something decent for that amount of money. A couple years ago, the local municipality here bought a JD 310J 4x4 from United for $29K. (no cab, open station) It's been a good machine.

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #5  
The neighbor bought a Case 580D just a 2 weeks ago for 12,500 Dollars seems to be in good shape really pops the stumps out.

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible?
GManBart - have you given any thought to the mid size commercial duty Kubotas ? (smaller than a full size hoe but very capable) I just seen a 45hp with LOW hrs (something like 150ish) that was in very nice shape for 32K. Heck of a nice machine for the money. You can also get a 3pt hitch for the rear as an add on

I haven't rule out any brand, but didn't think that the Kubotas came with a cab and heat/air....am I confused?

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #8  
I don't believe they have a factory cab option but the aftermarket does have some available. I was mainly trying to say you can basically get a brand new machine in your price range that you should not have any reliability issues with. Plus I find they fit some places a larger machine just won't and can do 90% of the same work (maybe a bit slower however)
Good luck in your search!

/ Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #9  
I spent years looking at used backhoe's. I've been to 4 Richie Brothers auctions, driven all over my home province looking at used backhoe's, at private sellers and dealers. I've looked at everything from Kubota B21, L48, JD 110, many Case 580L, 580M, 580SM etc...

Here are my tips (originally I posted this on heavyequipmentforums.com):
- Bring coveralls and get under the machine. Even if you don't know what you are looking at. Look for leaking lines, leaking valve stacks, rusted lines, do the filters you can see look like they have been changed recently? Take pictures. Post them here. Open the air filter, check the dates on the filters. They should have a manufacture date stamped on them. That will give you a bit of a clue if it's been serviced.
- Have the seller operate the hoe and loader to look for pin/bushing wear. For the hoe have the seller swing the bucket out directly behind the machine and push it on the ground, so it will tend to lift the back of the machine off the ground. Now with the machine at IDLE slowly push to lift the machine. Look for movement in the main bushings. Here is an example video I made showing the movement in a backhoe I was looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgDjTLkwHFo

Do the same with the loader, have the seller move the loader so it will want to lift the machine. Do this at IDLE and slowly. Do it a few times looking for movement at the pins.

Any used machine is probably going to have some movement. Stay away from anything with excessive movement.

- At IDLE the machine should have enough power to lift itself off the ground with the hoe/loader/stabilizers. Having to increase the RPM probably means the main hydraulic pump is weak.
- Rust (this is more for us northerners). Most machines will have been used for snow removal. Pull the cab rubber mat back and look for holes in the floor. Bottom of the doors. Look underneath and see how rusty things are. You are buying a used machine, eventually you are going to need to fix it. After looking at a few you'll be able to spot one that hasn't been used for snow. They are rare but probably worth a premium.
- Brakes - Make sure they work well. A brake job is a major undertaking for most "wet" type brakes found in backhoes. Usually it involves removing the rear axle from the backhoe.
- Engine - Check for blow by. With the engine running remove the oil fill cap and look for smoke. Get on youtube and search for videos that show bad diesel engines with blow by. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil, you are looking for any signs of antifreeze in the oil (blown head gasket).
- Transmission - If possible try to drive the machine into a pile of gravel/soil etc to try to get a feel for any slipping, weakness etc. Run it in all gears.
- My personal preference is to stay away from dealers. Whether they represent a known brand or not. You are buying an old machine and they come with no warranties. Most non branded dealers buy their machines at auction, no nothing of the history, and slap on $10k or $15k more than they paid for it at auction. Recently this machine:
richiebrothers2005JD310SG.jpg

Sold at auction for $30k, next day it was on Kijiji for $45k for sale by a dealer. I've seen other examples where I've been at the auction then see the same machines turn up on dealer lots, with nothing done to them.

- When you go to auctions go the day before, the inspection day. Ask for the keys to the machine and try them out. I've seen machines sell that pissed hydraulic fluid out from the valve stack... sold to an internet buyer who had no idea of the condition. Don't go to the auction with buying in mind, go to see a lot of machines at once.

- Private sellers or owner operators selling the equipment. I just like dealing with someone who has a history with the machine. Hopefully they are truthful.

After a while you'll get to know what a good machine looks like vs one that hasn't been taken care of. Don't rush into buying something.

For your budget you should have no problem finding something under 3000 hours. AC may be the only thing that will make your search harder.

Kubota's - They are no comparison to full sized backhoe's, even the M59. If you already have a tractor then the only advantage (the 3 pt hitch) isn't needed. The aftermarket cab's I've seen do not offer the same visibility as a factory cab. Plus they are expensive.

Around here Case is king in backhoe's. They are easy to find used and therefore much easier to get parts for (older machines). But any of the major brands Case, Cat, Deere make good machines. I ended up getting a JCB 212S because for me it offered more advantages: slightly smaller (12.5k lbs vs 15.5k lbs for Case 580SL), 4 wheel steer for manoeuvrability, aux hydraulics to front and rear are standard, side shift backhoe... but I don't need the machine every day, so if something breaks I can put up with longer parts wait time etc.

If you can find one with a 4 in 1 bucket that will help with the grading work and clean up of brush, thumb is very useful as well.

Grading... I just did our private road with recycled asphalt. I'm not the most experienced operator... I found it easier to pull a makeshift drag to get a level surface than get it level with the loader. I got things roughly level with the loader then used the drag. Part of the problem was the dump truck driver we had deliver the material kept dumping it in large piles instead of spreading it as he drove out. Anyway... here's a short video using the drag with the backhoe:
http://youtu.be/uUbiG9jnIXg

Hope that helps.
Greg

Last edited:
   / Solid Backhoe for $35K possible? #10  
In this region we see a lot of JCB . Any comments on em good,bad or ugly ?