General talk about backhoe for construction and road maintenance and etc..

/ General talk about backhoe for construction and road maintenance and etc.. #1  

Quebec

Tractor
L舅nen
Hi all!

I'm new on the forum and from Finland, so maybe some grammar issues but dont care :D

I was thinking a 4x4 backhoe for many different work. What do you think what is the best? Versatibility, reliable? Lots of power and fast on the road?
General talking about backhoes and pics videos are more than welcome.

Show me your machine and talk about it!

/ General talk about backhoe for construction and road maintenance and etc.. #2  
Backhoes are great trust me but don't ever make the mistake to run a shovel....you'll sell your backhoe so fast that you won't wen know what hit you trust me been there done that

image-3065594684.jpg

And this is the old backhoe it was great for all around work but when you need to dig a shovel is king and theirs no stabilizers!!

image-2701968393.jpg

/ General talk about backhoe for construction and road maintenance and etc.. #3  
are you talking private drive / driveway / dirt roads? or actual government roads (township, city, etc... roads?)

a construction / industrial backhoe. TLB (tractor loader backhoe) majority of the backhoes do not come off the tractor, and give access to a 3pt hitch.
on the other hand....
if you jump into agriculture tractors, and get a 3pt hitch backhoe with sub-frame. then you can take off the backhoe, and have access to the 3pt hitch.

a backhoe can do a lot, but there are many 3pt hitch stuff that can do so much better and easier and quicker.

most manufactures have a select make/model of a couple tractors out of all there line ups, were you can do a 180 in seat to operate backhoe, vs getting off agriculture tractor seat, and getting onto backhoe seat. there tractors are kinda of cross bread between a generic tractor and a industrial / construction tractor.

on industrial / construction sites, the companies more likely have extra larger size equipment to do this and that very specific thing, (dozers, compaction machines, etc..). and backhoe kinda serves a part of the overall equipment the company maintains and uses. but for general home owner, industrial / construction TLB really not all that useful, without use of the 3pt hitch.

being able to use 3pt hitch.... rear blade, box blades, LPGS (land plane grader scraper), landscape rake / york rake, drag chain harrows, etc... etc... can help shape, grade, and maintain a road and ditches.

================
most machines are limited to 25MPH here in the US, though were you are at... i think speed limit is upp'ed to 30 or 40 MPH?

/ General talk about backhoe for construction and road maintenance and etc..
Well yes, i have driven and we have a real excavator but our client wanted a backhoe for road maintenance and for a little ditch digging by summertime.

Yes I'm talking about allmost all kind of roads, except of course 2-lane roads and bigger. Gravel road, yard, little asphalt roads etc snowplowing by winter and summertime sweeping all the leafs and stuff out from road, digging ditch, planing some soil for grass, etc etc maintenance for our city.

I had a New Holland 115B and it was we'll ok…
What do you think what would be great for the job?

I have lots of different equipments to use all around the year, lots of buckets front and back, forks front and back (much better to use at the back end), 2 different snowplows, wall knocker (snowbanks), bucket sweeper at the front and open sweeper for the back, flail mower for the back. And of course a rototilt with a grabble module.

/ General talk about backhoe for construction and road maintenance and etc.. #5  
snow plowing... a generic full size truck, with a snow plow on the front = much quicker plowing, more so roads and long paths...
--city, township, county, state trucks around me are all dump trucks. that can be outfitted with a sand or salt spreader, or rock spreader. and then a snow plow out on front, (rather large plow) these snow plow setups require a min (miles per hour) to cause the snow to fly X amount of feet away from the road way. a regular full size pickup. truck you can still angle the front plow. and get some rolling of snow off to one side fairly good. and if you can keep your speed up and momentum, to help get through some smaller snow drifts (within reason), but at a certain point a FEL (front end loader) of a tractor or like might be needed to get through the deeper snow drifts, were you have to physically go in and shovel the snow out in a sense and pile it up.

a front mounted snow blower (hydraulic snow blower) (connected to FEL), can help reduce the build up of snow banks right at the edge of the road / driveway, at same time adjust it up and down to deal with snow drifts. 3pt hitch rear mounted snow blower can do the same, but "ughs" lot of sore neck driving backwards non stop. having a CAB, and being able to adjust direction of the snow chut = wanted.

if dealing with asphalt, making a snow plow, rear blade, or snow blower... you most likely want some sort of "snow shoes" per say for them to keep from digging into the asphalt and messing it up.

===============
ditch digging, excavator = better option, being able to rotate around in a full circle. a backhoe can work, but getting a dump truck or dump trailer angled in just right may be some what problem-matic. "it is doable but..."

if you had a beefer 3pt hitch rear blade, you can use them to make ditches. kinda like snow plowing with a rear blade, but you adjust both turnbuckles of the 3pt lift arms. to get an aggressive angle (one side down other side sticking up in the air) and you basically just dig/roll the dirt off to one side. and come back if need be with a FEL (front end loader) if need be and scoop up excess dirt, if you have no place to spread it.

a 3pt hitch box blade, can help level and smooth out the dirt, and be adjusted just like a rear blade as well if need be.

some rear blades, and most box blades come with rippers / scraficier teeth. that can be dropped, to bust up hard compacted soil, and then ya can come back with rippers up, and make moving the dirt easier.

sometimes it just comes straight down to a "dozer" if not a lot of dirt needs to be removed from area, and you can spread right on site. but excavator, backhoe, dozer, while they can get a good amount of work done, they may not give a professional look. (cleaning up after them and making things look good) may still be needed. and that is were a tractor with 3pt hitch generally comes into play. and then the long term maintenance / upkeep.

================
Tractor Attachments And Skid Steer Attachments For Any Tractor Or Skid Steer watch various videos and read the text they have on all the attachments that they list to help familiarize yourself of what can be done and how it can be done.

there are some good "road construction" and "driveway maintenance" threads here on TBN (tractorbynet)

and there are some good "snow plowing" threads here on TBN.

google "snow plow site:www.tractorbynet.com" without quotes.
above will just return results for this site. if you have "google chrome" web browser you can get the translator "english to what ever language is your normal" firefox has same like function.

/ General talk about backhoe for construction and road maintenance and etc..
Well not disgusting about whats best for the job - our client wanted a backhoe and thats the one we have to deal with it. I think its pretty great for the job, like snowplowing with 145 inch wide FEL attached snowplow.

for the ditch digging i feel its quite ok, so i can 'drop' the bucket to the ditch and drive backwards and the bucket slides on the ditch while driving, making really good ditch. It need lots of power and traction for the backhoe but so far its working ok.