Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

Default Re: Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start

Brutus (JCB 1550-B) will startup on what seems to be a 1/4 rotation of the crank DURING WARM months. It's almost like an on/off switch. A very quick starter.

In winter time,it definately takes more revolutions. in my scenario, the colder it is, the longer I gotta crank it. (no preheater of anykind).

Richard

Gold Member
    In the middle of the palm of your right hand...wait, that doesn\'t sound good...
    Tractor
    4010 JD Cut, 4020 JD, shovels, rakes, and implements of destruction

Manifold heater heats the air/fuel mixture prior to it entering the combustion chamber.

Block heater increases the temperature of the engine and to some extent the oil, allowing it to crank over easier.

Gold Member

like said above, the manifold heater heats the air, in the intake manifold. hold the button for 20 seconds, and see if it's warm to the touch, if not, there's something wrong. if it does work, DO NOT use either with it , just a word to the wise [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Sath S-370

Rick,
    Excuse my ignorance here but I guess it would be advantageous to install both kinds of heaters (manifold and block), would it?

Is there a supplier here on the net that is reputable for Case parts incase the manifold heater is not working or are after market manifold heaters available for this hoe? I guess I could install a universal block heater as long as the diameter fits up to the opening in the block?

I have not actually been on the hoe yet. I've seen it twice up close but have not had the time to climb on to it. Will be meeting the owner this Saturday to look it over. Up to this point I've just been relying of my friend who has serviced the hoe for information.

Shawn

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, JD and a Grillo

If its a Cummins engine, you don't have to go to a case dealer only. The 580's I've used had the Cummins B motor. Look for a Cummins shop for parts and compare prices if you do your own work and need a new grid heater. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

580C's had the Case 207 diesel... The 580D's started the Cummins lineage... The 207's were a dandy engine though. Some equipment used the 207 up into the mid 80's.

Gold Member

the 207 is a great engine for the hoe, but you may find it a tad underpowered if you do alot of roading of the machine.

our '70 580ck hadn't run in 15 years when we bought it. we freed it up, gave her a set of rings, and injectors, clean the fuel system, and freed the valves up. she started right up and purred like a kitten..

I had a brokem waterline to fix. 580D hadn't ran in a month and was only going to be 7 F today so I pluged in the block heater and batt charger last night. Got to -7 last night. A quick squirt of ether and she started right up this morning. Let it idle for 1/2 hour or so before tried to do anything and no problems about 4" of frost. Fixed the line it was quite warm at 5 feet down.

I was going to say my 580 has built in ether so it's kind of nice except the starter didn't want to kick in in the cold.

mikell

Another thing it was a new record -17 last night no wonder the starter didn't want to work.

mikell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12