Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #1  

llewellynsd

Tractor
Sath S-370
Folks,
I've found a Case 580C backhoe that appears to be in nice condition. The owner had the engine rebuilt and say everything operates fine, but indicated that it is hard to start when cold.

Shouldn't a rebuilt diesel engine start fairly easy in cold weather? I thought typically the reason diesels were sometimes hard to start when cold was due to worn cylinders and low compression.

Is this typical of these Case backhoes?

What other things should I be looking for on this machine that might indicate that it was either not well maintained or might have mechanical problems?

Thanks Shawn

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #2  
for what its worth my old 580 case starts like a bear when its cold,always has-the motor runs very good once warmed up. Dont know if thats typical or not- LLoyd

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #3  
ours usually starts ok, if it's been running within the last week . how old is it? does it use the manifold heater?(ours does), if the heaters not working, it will take forever to get it to go,

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #4  
By "hard starting" is he referring to it having to crank for a long period, or that it is hard to get it to turn over when it's cold out?

Mine was a son of a gun to get it to turn over anytime the temp was below 35 F.

Had my starter rebuilt...WOW! Spins over good and takes right off even in the low 20's now.

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #5  
Have the battery checked as well as the starter. They are not bad cold weather starters by nature.

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #6  
had ours goin at -22 c the other day. i'm not sure what that is in F, but i know it's **** cold /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #7  
Don't no if this will help, had a cousin that owned a hoe started good in the summer but was a bear to start in the winter,to make a long story short, He broke a hyd hose and didn't get it fixed till the next day, it was winter time he had to start it to move it for some reason before putting new hose on and it fired right up, he got to checking around found that the relief valve for pump was bad and when cranking the motor over it was trying to bluild pressure. That was 5yrs ago has been starting great sent's that day.
Maybe its' that simple !!!!!!!

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( -22 c .... i'm not sure what that is in F)</font>

About -8 F.

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start #9  
yup. went and looked at the thermoter after.... **** cold how ever you say it... did find out that the cab and heater we put on last fall works rather nicely /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
till the alt, died and the battery went dead /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Case 580 Backhoe - Hard start
Wfish,
From what I understand it takes a while cranking it, not that it won't crank at all. The hoe is a 1978 model.

I spoke with a friend of mine this morning who owns a heavy equipment business and apparently his company has done most of the repairs on this hoe over the years. He indicated that for the price if I did not buy it then his company would be buying it. He is a close personal friend and has nothing to gain from me buying it so that sort of made me feel better about going ahead and purchasing this hoe.

Is a manifold heater similar to a block or freeze plug heater? This friend I mentioned recommended installing a block heater on the hoe for easier starts and less wear on the motor. Guess I'll be buying one and putting it in when I get it.

Shawn