Swinger 220 loader

/ Swinger 220 loader #1  

jd4310man

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar VIO27-3, New Holland LX885, John Deere 855 C.U.T.
I found a swinger model 220 wheel loader at my local salvage yard. Does anyone have any experience with these small articulating loaders? This one is a nice size unit, has wide flotation tires, had an enclosed cab at one point, the doors are missing. Some one tore the head off the engine, all the parts seem to be there, except for the valve rockers and push rods. The engine is a Perkins 200 series, model 4.154 From what i read, parts are expensive and with the head off, it might be a lost cause. What would be the best choice for a repower to get this thing going? Is there a dealer base for these machines? Were can I find parts? Thanks.

/ Swinger 220 loader
I know its an old model, but its too good to scrap. Lookes like its a factory direct thing, cant find any dealer network. Thanks for the input.

/ Swinger 220 loader #4  
If you find the project is more than you can handle, I'm looking for parts to keep my older Swinger running.

/ Swinger 220 loader #5  
I know its an old model, but its too good to scrap. Lookes like its a factory direct thing, cant find any dealer network. Thanks for the input.

Decades ago there used to be a dealer in Denver. I remember thinking they were nice machines at the time. I tried one; it sure did hande well.
Good luck with the project, I always wondered what became of those Swingers.
rScotty

/ Swinger 220 loader
Well they still build them. NMC Wollard makes them NMC-Wollard I tore out the old engine. Its a total loss. the head is cracked in two places. Im not going to dump any money into it. So im on the hunt for a replacement engine. Got any ideas other than ebay to find a good 50hp engine? Dirtmover91, how do you like your swinger? does the transmission still work good?

/ Swinger 220 loader #7  
Who made the old engine? I recall my buddy saying that his had a Renault engine.
His was one of the smallest ones and sort of a lime green color. He liked it because it would just fit into the horse stalls in his barn for cleaning them out.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Swinger 220 loader #8  
I use a swinger loader every day grading around new houses. Have to have two in order to be sure one is working every day. Been able to make a living with them for 25 years. Perkins 4.154 is not supported by Perkins any more, makes it very difficult and expensive to keep going. Been looking for a suitable repower make engine for awhile, haven't found it yet.

/ Swinger 220 loader #9  
Occasionally Surplus Center has really good deals on new Cat, Kubota, Cat/Perkins, Yanmar, etc.

Surplus Center

/ Swinger 220 loader #10  
I know it's been years since this thread was touched, just wondering whatever happened to your swinger, did you find an alternate engine? I have an old 200? model, powered by a Ford 4 banger, runs good, but I was warned against letting them overheat as the blocks crack, similar to the one you found in salvage.