Would you buy a KX41

/ Would you buy a KX41 #1  

Big Bri

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Do I really need one, no but I definitely want one. Mini ex that is.
Live been looking at Craig's list, ebay, and everywhere else locally and on the net for 2 years and haven't found the right one in the price range and condition I'm willing to pay for. I had thought I wanted a machine in the 8-12k lbs range. Some thing I could dig out a tree or two with, take care of some small projects around the house, and keep a boat ramp free of silt.
Well today I looked at a KX41-3 (2007 model). Much smaller than what I thought I wanted but it is a real clean machine. So my question is how capable is this little guy. Will I be mad for buying this in 6 months or will I be pleasantly surprised by what I can do with it.
any advice would be great
thanks.

/ Would you buy a KX41 #2  
I am considering the same mini-ex, mainly for narrow bench-cut trail building purposes. Subscribing to your thread hoping for some real experiences.

/ Would you buy a KX41 #3  
I have a 2006 KX41-3v ~1200hrs. I like it, maneuverable, and hardly takes any space in my barn. But it does not have much power (17 hp?), can't climb hills well. Mini-ex travel speeds are really slow (like 1.9 & 2.4 mph) travel takes forever and a day, its almost faster to trailer it a half-mile. I got it to pick up logging slash and make burnpiles. Also to cut ATV trails into steep hillsides. I have no real need for a bigger ex as I'm not trying to make a living with it. I hope to sell it for about the same when done.

You should know that if it needs new track drive motors they are something like $5,000 apiece. Take out a plug, see if it has clean oil. Change the drive oil every time you change the engine oil those things could almost total the machine.

image.jpg

Got rid of the little backhoe (BX24) this KX41 barely larger than that backhoe. And the KX can drive out of the barn, the Backhoe would just plug up the barn if not on the tractor. Sold the BX-24, bought a little bigger tractor.

KX41_stickrake__testing_closed.jpg

Experimenting with an attachment to rake & pick up sticks for the burnpile.

KX41_stickrake__testing_open.jpg

image.jpg

Putting minibikes up on a shelf for winter.

378855d1402520412-stepped-off-almost-tipped-over-bench-trail16-jpg

Here's an ATV trail I dug, first excavator project. It was so much fun, I'd start at 7AM, dig all day (almost skip lunch) then dig until dark. The trail came out GREAT, a real asset on the property, keeps the bikes and ATVs off the driveway. Been using it for snowmobiles too.

As to your question,,, Excavators are like chainsaws, tractors, (welders :laughing: ) the bigger you get the more you can do, and there are other things that become more difficult. Like wiggle between two trees, park it in a small space. Smaller machine is safer to transport. A big chainsaw cuts fast but what if you have to carry it all day and never see a tree as big as the bar? Really hard to "recommend a size" to someone else, the uses are so different. How big are your jobs and how quick must you get done? Is it better to be lest costly and compact 364 days of the year?

Last edited:
   / Would you buy a KX41
Great review, tks Sodo!
I did go back and talk to the owner, I was allowed to use the excavator on his land to dig and play a little. while it did have lots of power and dug surprising fast I think it's a little small for what I'm wanting to do.
Then owner also talked me out of buying it as well. After telling him what my plans were he advised me that was what he bought the machine for and he was upgrading to a more powerful machine.
Tks

/ Would you buy a KX41 #5  
I would not buy any smaller machine then a 5 ton and nothing bigger for your purposes. I have had 3 minis and 2 backhoes over the years. 2 three tons (TB135 Takeuchi and a 804 Super JCB) and 1, 5 ton (Bobcat 335). I love that machine, tons of power, very comfortable. Only downside is it likes fuel lol. I would go with the 5 ton due to the reach and power. I don't know your budget but a 335, E50 Bobcat would work great, 305CR or 305CCR cats are good, any deere 50d newer then 2010 is great, takeuchi TB145-153 are great machines. Kubota makes a great excavator, the KX121 is an awesome machine as is the U45. There are 3 things that I would not buy a mini without. HYDRAULIC THUMB, I use mine all the time, the 804 super and my jd tractor backhoe attachments, had fixed thumbs and I would never go back to them. The hydraulic thumb is an awesome attachment, and I would not buy a machine without it. A Cab with heat and ac is a must have lol. I have mild asthma so doing burn piles without it would be not fun at all. Also a q/c, you will end up buying many buckets lol, trust me banging out pins is not fun. Just try and buy a mini 2007 or newer and you will be fine. Good luck, and please keep us updated!
The Bobcat (friend has it now, finished my projects)
1012028_421374231327333_888725555_n.jpg

/ Would you buy a KX41 #6  
I just bought a KX 41 with thumb. Ground is frozen up here so I will have to wait another three months to use it. Its a 1994 with 3000 hours. As I got stuck trailering it into camp in the snow, I ended up unloading it and driving it 1/4 mile. This older machine is a single speed and it is slow at 1.2 MPH. I kept the revs down and took about 25 minutes to go up the driveway. Needed to take it easy as it was -20 C and lots of ice in the tracks. I will be building a trailer just to move it around on my property. This machine is extremely quiet compared to my farm tractors.

/ Would you buy a KX41 #7  
That sounds somewhat similar to bringing my KX41 home. Had to drive 1 mile, uphill. I was cold.

361558d1392790026-got-mini-excavator-selling-bx24-image-jpg

/ Would you buy a KX41 #8  
I would not buy any smaller machine then a 5 ton and nothing bigger for your purposes. I have had 3 minis and 2 backhoes over the years. 2 three tons (TB135 Takeuchi and a 804 Super JCB) and 1, 5 ton (Bobcat 335). I love that machine, tons of power, very comfortable. Only downside is it likes fuel lol. I would go with the 5 ton due to the reach and power. I don't know your budget but a 335, E50 Bobcat would work great, 305CR or 305CCR cats are good, any deere 50d newer then 2010 is great, takeuchi TB145-153 are great machines. Kubota makes a great excavator, the KX121 is an awesome machine as is the U45. There are 3 things that I would not buy a mini without. HYDRAULIC THUMB, I use mine all the time, the 804 super and my jd tractor backhoe attachments, had fixed thumbs and I would never go back to them. The hydraulic thumb is an awesome attachment, and I would not buy a machine without it. A Cab with heat and ac is a must have lol. I have mild asthma so doing burn piles without it would be not fun at all. Also a q/c, you will end up buying many buckets lol, trust me banging out pins is not fun. Just try and buy a mini 2007 or newer and you will be fine. Good luck, and please keep us updated!
The Bobcat (friend has it now, finished my projects)
View attachment 407641

Agree, but also consider a 7-8 tone machine, if one drops in you lap. Anything less than 3 tons just way is too small for outdoor / farm work.

/ Would you buy a KX41 #9  
I think I was too excited to be cold. I live three hours from camp and all I can think about are all the jobs I can do next summer. Going to build a couple of swamp mats so I can get in and finally work on my pond project. Dig lots of test holes as I want to build on my current gravel pit, so need to find another one. Want to push some x-country ski trails into hilly areas. My camera froze so could only take a couple of pictures with my phone. Watched every U-tube video on mini excavators. My first project will be to build a single tooth ripper. Some good videos using a ripper for stump removal.

Attachments

• Kubota.jpg
    Kubota.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 708
   / Would you buy a KX41 #10  
I know that feeling I'm 3 hours from my hideout too. Good idea to build a ripper I'll keep that in mind, and interested to see yours. I've sure been enjoying my trails. I rode snowmobiles on it too, they use up the whole trail.

409105d1422511429-would-you-buy-kx41-atv-trail-jpg

One thing I like about this mini-ex is 3700lbs is easy to move around, no problem towing it with my F150. And it packs away tight in the barn. I wish it had a 6way blade.

I have a buddy with a KX121 (9,000lb), he tows it with a dually pickup. He loves that machine, he claims he will take it to the grave with him. He's only 55 and plans to live a long time. He is a professional excavator operator (and instructor too). His opinion of the 121 makes me want one but realistically I can do what I want with the KX41. My wants may change over time though...

Attachments

• ATV trail.jpg
    ATV trail.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 4,471
Last edited: