580SL 4X4 won't disengage?

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #1  

Tractor_Joe

580SL 4X4 won\'t disengage?

Hi All,

I bought a 580SL last spring and noticed last summer that the 4 wheel drive does not seem to disengage. It's activated/deactivated via a switch on the panel. The light (on the switch) goes on and off but the front wheels are always pulling. I could be imagining this too but when the switch is off I think I can make tighter turns with the machine.

I wouldn't be too concerned but the Case manual strongly recommends that you do not use 4 wheel drive in 3rd or 4th gear. I really love the machine and I hope I'm not damaging anything.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Joel

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #2  
Re: 580SL 4X4 won\'t disengage?

You could have a bad switch or maybe a bad servo.I really dont know, but would be grateful if you would post What you find out.

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #3  

You should be able to make tighter turns with the 4x4 off; thats the nature of 4 wheel drive. One way to check if it is on or off is to get the front wheels off the ground while moving. If they are still turning, then the 4 whel drive is on.

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage?

You response is why I'm sum what confused. I first noticed the possible problem when I had the tractor lifted and noticed the front tires spinning. For sure the 4 wheel drive is engaged. I'm aware of the tighter turns when 4WD is off and that is why I'm confused. The front tires always seem to be pulling but I seem to get a tighter turn when the (4WD) switch it off. Is this even possible? Or am I just imagining this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #5  

If you mean when your using the hoe they spim it's Probably just slght slippage like the rear tires. My rear move when using the hoe but I can stop them with my hand.

mikell

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #6  

If the 4 wheel drive is really on still even with the switch off, then I can't see how its possible for your turns to be tighter. My experience with 4 wheel drive, both on a 580M and a smaller Kubota, is that when the 4 wheel drive is on I can crank the wheel all the way over and it just won't turn as tight. As for picking the front end up, if the front tires are spinning and 4x4 is off, it could be due to rotational momentum if you were moving before the front end came up. Something I just thought of, and I'm not sure if it will work, but if you lift the front end off the ground so there is a few inches under the front tires, and turned the tractor off, you should be able to spin the front tires by hand if the 4 wheel drive is off. I am assuming that if its on, then the front tires will still be linked to the drive shafts, and you won't be able to turn them. I've never tried it, but it might be something to check.
I would also say that since its an electrical system, there is a good possibility that the 4 wheel drive is really on all the time, and you should get that fixed as you will wear the front tires (and a whole lot of other things) much too fast. I'm not an expert by any means, and everything I know is just what I picked up on my own from using the equipment at work over the years.

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage?

Thank you for the input. I'll try those things. I almost 99% sure its engaged because the front tires will spin and pull when I'm in snow or mud with the swtich off. So to isolate the problem (electrical or mechanical) what steps can I take?

Electrical (as noted earlier) I can pull a fuse but, I didn't see a fuse dedicated for 4X4. What else can I disconnect to check.

Mechanical -Let's say electrical is fine. What would be sticking on the mechanical side?

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #8  

Ok, I'm going to appologize first if I insult anybody cause I don't know much about backhoes but I'm going to ask a maybe dumb and mabye obvious question and then offer another suggestion.

Could the swithch be for engaging the hubs and there is a different lever to engage the 4x4...like on some P/U trucks? As I said, I really don't know but it was a thought when reading this post and I've done dumber things.

The second issue...could you lift the whole machine off the ground with the outriggers and the front bucket and run it forward and reverse through the gears to see if the fronts are engaged? Then like somebody already suggested could someone hold the front tires with the switch engaged and disengaged to see if there is any torque to the wheels? I know some vehicles can turn the tires somewhat when there is no load and just putting a hand on them will stop them.

Just some friendly suggestions. Good luck

Mike

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #9  
well I now have the same problem with four wheel drive not turning off on my case 580 sl series 2. I lifted all wheels off the ground to verify four by is still engaged. I checked the switch and fuses and both look fine. Someone said to look at an servo but dont know where or how. Any other ideas?

/ 580SL 4X4 won't disengage? #10  
Instead of lifting all four wheels off the ground, try just lifting the rears and see if the fronts will dig in and try and pull the tractor. It may be as others have indicated, just drag on the driveline and not actually transfering power.