International S1900 dump truck with DT466 starter issues

/ International S1900 dump truck with DT466 starter issues #1  

5030tinkerer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3830/GL5030
I have an old 1984 S1900 with the DT466 in it. It would periodically just click at the fuse box and click at the starter when turning the key. Other times, it would go ahead and fire off no problem at all - spin over fast and everything. When it would only click, a few turns of the key and it would fire right off - until it wouldn't do that anymore and just click at the fuse panel and not at the relay.

I got tired of this, had one of my guys yank the starter, and then took it in to a rebuild place. They told me that it essentially would be a better deal to get a new starter with a newer design than the old clunker I had, so I went that route. It was a 30 pound lighter Delco Remy 39MT.

After install, though, now I have NOTHING. No headlights, no horn, NOTHING.

The installation instructions on the starter (http://delcoremy.com/Documents/Start...118.1435703992) put me in their 'Category C' - a new starter with an attached magnetic switch (relay) replacing a starter without an attached magnetic switch (relay).

My guy that pulled the old starter and did the install on this one says that the three large ring terminals that are still not hooked up weren't before, and that the one wire that the terminal end got yanked off of when the old starter came down had been attached to the solenoid.

He put a new lug on this (perhaps) solenoid wire and attached it to the magnetic switch terminal pursuant to the directions. He also attached the 2/0 or better battery positive to the battery terminal on the starter and then transferred the 1/0 ground wire from the old starter that ran to the frame to the ground on the starter.

It all seems right - the three large ring terminals indeed look crusty (like they weren't installed before), I have battery voltage at the battery (+) terminal on the starter, and the wiring is indeed as he indicated. I checked for voltage on the three unused wires with the large ring terminals and have none regardless of key position. I also, however, have no voltage coming to the switch terminal that the (supposed) solenoid wire was attached to regardless of key position.

All fuses test out okay, but perhaps there is one somewhere that I am missing?

Any ideas appreciated.

/ International S1900 dump truck with DT466 starter issues #2  
Your link does not work.
How about a couple of photos.
If you dont have one, you should get a cheap multimeter like this one for $24:
Digital Multimeter - Save on this AC/DC Digital Multimeter

With it we can suggest you take certain readings which will help in the diagnosis

Dave M7040

/ International S1900 dump truck with DT466 starter issues
Your link does not work.
How about a couple of photos.
If you dont have one, you should get a cheap multimeter like this one for $24:
Digital Multimeter - Save on this AC/DC Digital Multimeter

With it we can suggest you take certain readings which will help in the diagnosis

Dave M7040
Sorry about the link -try this one: http://delcoremy.com/Documents/Star...?ext=.pdf&_ga=1.60625064.489429118.1435703992

I used a multimeter to verify that I had battery voltage at the B+ terminal at the starter. I've also cleaned up the grounds, notably the flat ground cable that attaches the starter ground to the frame. I also verified that I don't see voltage on what should be the old solenoid wire when the ignition key is turned to the start position - something that I expected to see.

I am wondering if an upstream relay of some sort is actually shot and the true culprit in all of this (and that I never actually had a starter issue at all), but I wouldn't think that that would explain why things like the headlights and horn don't work.

The issue is not JUST that the starter doesn't engage, but also that no accessories of any kind work - no headlights, no horn, nothing.

/ International S1900 dump truck with DT466 starter issues #4  
It sounds like at least one (if not all) of the three large ring terminals should be hooked up to supply voltage to the other items that currently do not work.

/ International S1900 dump truck with DT466 starter issues #5  
It sounds like at least one (if not all) of the three large ring terminals should be hooked up to supply voltage to the other items that currently do not work.

George nailed it! A million thanks! I traced back some wires and found that indeed the issue was one of the large ring terminals, but that all three in fact needed to be connected to have all accessories working as they should.

TBN to the rescue yet again!

Happy 4th everyone! I'm so glad it was something simple for a change. :)

Ed

/ International S1900 dump truck with DT466 starter issues #7  
I have an 82 version of the same truck. I just bought it a few months ago and I remember the guy I got it from said he put a new starter in it too so it must be a common thing to go bad.

I have an 82 version of the same truck. I just bought it a few months ago and I remember the guy I got it from said he put a new starter in it too so it must be a common thing to go bad.

I don't know, from my vantage for a starter to last (in my case) 31 years is pretty impressive. That truck owes me no favors whatsoever. :)