SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains?

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains? #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
Traded Kubota tractors to GEHL3640e SS. Have 16" to 24" plus drifts on the ground. SS now stuck off drive in yard. Been stuck twice when I get off level drive, slides sideways or gets at angle (not level ground and I live on a hillside) and gets stuck. Also now remember why I moved from BX to B Kubota tractors, ground clearance.
Are tire chains the answer. Tires are 27x 8.5x 15HD. Deere on internet offering chains for $100 plus shipping. Ebay seller has them for $88 with shp but has for LT tires and mine are HD, does that make a difference for the chains?

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains? #2  
Can't answer about LT or HD chains difference if any. Chains will help with traction but as you mentioned, they won't give you any more ground clearance. We have a Bobcat SS at work and the guys are always getting it stuck high centering it when they try to go thru a snow pile with the snow bucket up. Not much ground clearance under them so chains won't help if high centered or not on level ground. These guys are inexperienced operators also and haven't figured how to use the bucket to push themselves off the snow.

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains?
Can't answer about LT or HD chains difference if any. Chains will help with traction but as you mentioned, they won't give you any more ground clearance. We have a Bobcat SS at work and the guys are always getting it stuck high centering it when they try to go thru a snow pile with the snow bucket up. Not much ground clearance under them so chains won't help if high centered or not on level ground. These guys are inexperienced operators also and haven't figured how to use the bucket to push themselves off the snow.

Thanks. I was able to get movement while on pavement by using bucket to pull me but once I got off and now into yard bucket won't pull me by dropping and scraping forward. Going to use chains/straps and wrap around bucket and a tree or vehicle to pull myself out.....just one or two feet and I'm free!!!:D For awhile. :)
So, you for or against chains on sloping property as the answer for traction on SS? Better solution? I don't want to waste $100 if it won't help much.

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains? #4  
Thanks. I was able to get movement while on pavement by using bucket to pull me but once I got off and now into yard bucket won't pull me by dropping and scraping forward. Going to use chains/straps and wrap around bucket and a tree or vehicle to pull myself out.....just one or two feet and I'm free!!!:D For awhile. :)
So, you for or against chains on sloping property as the answer for traction on SS? Better solution? I don't want to waste $100 if it won't help much.
Chains will help greatly. You will want some chains which have a row (or two) of chains that run parallel to the side chains to help resist sliding sideways.
As for getting out, have you tried dumping the bucket all the way, putting the cutting edge on the ground and curling the bucket?
That should push you backwards and might get you out.

Aaron Z

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains? #5  
Skid sters are hard on chains since every time you turn you are twisting them so don't be surprised on how fast they wear or break.

Chains will help greatly. You will want some chains which have a row (or two) of chains that run parallel to the side chains to help resist sliding sideways.
As for getting out, have you tried dumping the bucket all the way, putting the cutting edge on the ground and curling the bucket?
That should push you backwards and might get you out.

Aaron Z

Back end is up against a tree so I can't go backward. Tried pulling forward with bucket curl which I've done many times with tractor FEL but no go. Hooked to Kubota RTV and tried pulling while trying to drive forward to no avail. Kubota just spun tires even with dif lock engaged, Have a Toyota Tacoma 4wd at the bottom of drive way that I can't get up so I'll try pulling the SS out when drive way is clear with Tacoma and throw some gravel under the tires and dig the mud out that piled up now in front of front tires due to trying bucket curl pull out. Tried bucket curl with chain on bucket and around tree but chain to short so used 3"/4" tie down strap to make up the distance and the strap stretched the amount of gain from the bucket curl. Couple days and this snow will be gone and I'll get it out but then I won't need to use it. :D

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains? #7  
Skid sters are hard on chains since every time you turn you are twisting them so don't be surprised on how fast they wear or break.

And you need to deflate the tires, mount the chains, then air up. If you don't put them on real tight you'll twist your way right out of them. Hopefully they fall off to the outside......

Ebay seller has them for $88 with shp but has for LT tires and mine are HD, does that make a difference for the chains?
Ebay seller said these will not work on a SS. I had asked him and he just replied.
I won't use the chains very often and maybe never since we normally don't have much snow in this part of Ky but we've gotten bunches last year and the one time this year.

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains? #9  
Have set of chains that we use on the old luged tires. Help big time. We put them on just the rear. Does not seem to rip things up too bad. When we replaced the tires went to a turf tire, have not used them since. yes, i know what you mean you get it sideways get stuck easy. I have found if you can spin your self around you can push yourself out with the bucket. However, back against a tree not going to work. I slid it into a ditch head first one year. Such that your feet where on the window in the door. Had to climb out the back window. Got the chains the next year. I stay away from the ditch!

/ SS stuck in snow twice, tire chains? #10  
Put some sand down. Can really improve traction on frozen ground.