Is a CTL right for me?

/ Is a CTL right for me? #1  

apIV

Tractor
CAT
Been researching and reviewing the forums for quite some time now. Just trying to decide if a compact track loader is right for me.

Im planning on purchasing approximately 20 to 50 acres in the New England area. Planning on having a family compound on the property. I would like to clear the property myself. My father and I did that with my last house.

My thoughts are buying a slightly used CTL. Bobcat, CAT or Deere. At least 60 HP and high flow hydraulics. I want to have the machine to clear the land, move some logs, rent a forestry mulcher and put in (or clear) the driveway. I would also plow with it in the winter. And use for a lot of other uses.

Would this be the right move for me? I feel like I would save money over time purchasing a machine like this.

Would a CTL be the best machine for the job of clearing a few lots?

Thanks!

/ Is a CTL right for me? #2  
I think you are expecting alot out of one machine. It sounds like a dozer would better suit your needs for a property that size and the bigger tasks that you are listing. Also, a backhoe for digging stumps, installing septic, laying pipe would also be a good consideration. There is always the option of renting something to try out to see if it fits your needs.

/ Is a CTL right for me?
Thanks for the reply.

Essentially it's going to be for clearing only. I have a good buddy that can do all the septic and excavation work for me.

Just dont want to get a dozer and use it for one thing only. Then get stuck with it, and hopefully sell it. With a CTL I have a ton of options for attachments, and use it year round for many different uses.

/ Is a CTL right for me? #4  
I've read CTLs are terrible with ice.

/ Is a CTL right for me? #5  
I have a CTL (more accurately, a MTL "Multi-Terrain-Loader" ). They are great machines, and can serve many "tractor" functions also, with the proper attachments.

Regarding your idea on size/HP... getting something with High-Flow, you're going to have to look at 70 HP and up to get something with respectable High-Flow.

Regarding the mulcher, consider this: a mulcher is very, very hard on a SS (or CTL/MTL). It really beats the crap out of the machine. Cakes everything with dust (engine, air filter, radiator, and operator too)... and is also dangerous to the operator and damaging to the machine without having a forestry package (safety stuff). Hiring the mulching out will probably be a safer bet over the long term.

/ Is a CTL right for me?
That's something that has concerned me as well

/ Is a CTL right for me?
I have a CTL (more accurately, a MTL "Multi-Terrain-Loader" ). They are great machines, and can serve many "tractor" functions also, with the proper attachments.

Regarding your idea on size/HP... getting something with High-Flow, you're going to have to look at 70 HP and up to get something with respectable High-Flow.

Regarding the mulcher, consider this: a mulcher is very, very hard on a SS (or CTL/MTL). It really beats the crap out of the machine. Cakes everything with dust (engine, air filter, radiator, and operator too)... and is also dangerous to the operator and damaging to the machine without having a forestry package (safety stuff). Hiring the mulching out will probably be a safer bet over the long term.

Great, thanks for the info. I figured the mulcher would be pretty tough on the machine as well. My plan with the mulching was to only rent the Fecon head for only a weekend or two. Just to clear some plots and driveways. Basically get mostly brush and small saplings out of the way. Nothing crazy.

/ Is a CTL right for me? #8  
Great, thanks for the info. I figured the mulcher would be pretty tough on the machine as well. My plan with the mulching was to only rent the Fecon head for only a weekend or two. Just to clear some plots and driveways. Basically get mostly brush and small saplings out of the way. Nothing crazy.

a decent rated brushhog will take out saplings and dense brush. Some are rated to 4".

/ Is a CTL right for me? #9  
Most people dont need high flow unless you are running a mulching head. Everything else you can run with standard flow.

Older Bobcat, Case and Cat units are good. Stay away from older Deere units.

Want a real horse, get a Case 440 or 450CT. 4.5L Cummins Turbo.

/ Is a CTL right for me? #10  
Those little skid steers are nice, especially since there are numerous implements that are SSQA-compatible.

If your property is hilly, I'd think again before running around on it with a Bobcat or equivalent.

Good luck