Ditch Witch J120 belt problems

/ Ditch Witch J120 belt problems #1  

saturnalley

Tractor
J20 Ditch Witch 70's
Ditch Witch J20 belt problems

I have a nice old J20 Ride-on.
I put on new belts by hand. No nut loosening seemed required. Bought the belts online. The J20 pushes off the third belt to the right as soon as I engage the drive. Also, the first two belts jump one pulley to the right, but only on top. They remain in the proper lower large pulley.

When I bought it it had only 2 belts on it but worked ok. These 2 belts may have3 been in the 2 righthand pulleys.. But they didn't shift pulleys spontaneously, and both stayed on.

So J20 experts please advice: did I buy the wrong belts? Should they have been harder to install, like requiring loosening of the upper pulley bar components? Does this sound like a tensioner problem? Would I be stupid to think I could take the darn thing apart with hand tools? Does anyone know of affordable Ditch Witch mechanics in the Napa CA area who make house calls? (Or has anyone succeeded at hauling a J20 in the back of an 8 cylinder 1991 Ford F150?? There is a repair place over an hour away) If anyone can help I will reciprocate somehow!

David 707 287 5200

Last edited: