Mini Ex uses

/ Mini Ex uses #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Since I been shopping for a Mini Ex and I been doing a lot of research and was thinking I bet there is a lot of uses I am missing. Thought it maybe interesting to start a thread about the uses you have had for Mini Ex, be them "normal uses" or something a bit more unconventional. Photos are always welcome and encouraged!

/ Mini Ex uses #2  
I've been researching them also so looking forward to the answers. Trying to decide whether to get a mini, a backhoe attachment, or a used backhoe like a 580C.

/ Mini Ex uses #3  
My KX 121-3 with thumb gets more hours than my 555E or the L4630, the usual uses are trenches, ditches & holes then;
stumping (up to 12" stump if bigger the 555's weight & power are called in)
Brush removal, particularly nice if poison ivy is present
rocks
grading
building retaining walls with rock and sometimes heavy concrete blocks (2' x 2' x 4' @ 1600 lbs., use caution! Machine has to be level & stable and you don't have full reach at this weight)
logging
loading firewood
small building demolition jobs
loading scrap steel into dumptruck
many recycling projects, once separated metal from plastic on 4,000 old classroom chairs
disassembling nasty items we usually do by hand but sometimes get stuck with filthy, stinky items that you would rather not touch....
SNOW grooming! I pull a homemade drag and groom 10 - 12 miles of spur trails that lead to our state system of trails. It's slow but after a big storm you can pick up drops and brush in the trail without leaving that nice warm cab!
Getting the other machines unstuck from mud

If I were shopping today I'd get the 6-way blade (was not available back when I bought). If I didn't have the 555, I would consider stepping up one model size to the KX 161 or whatever the equivalent current model is.
There is no comparison in speed and maneuverability when comparing an excavator to a TLB, especially a hoe that attaches to a compact tractor. If that is the only option for some then you have my condolences but my life is too short to be attaching and detaching that hoe and spending all day digging a short trench!

/ Mini Ex uses #4  
I know they have their place but I don't think one would be for me. I bought a full size backhoe instead. I use the loader on it more than I do the hoe and I drive it around a lot which would be slow on the tracks. They are cool machines but unless you are just always digging something like a backhoe seems much more versatile.

/ Mini Ex uses
Never really thought about brush removal, that would be a big help. We don't a have a big need for a mini but I figure I will find uses as I go sort of like the tractor. Keep the ideas coming and thanks!

/ Mini Ex uses #6  
CONS: The major drawback to an excavator is the travel speed, so if you have long distance to travel between or to uses, it can consume a lot of time.
Tracks do wear out and are expensive to replace.
NO LOADER so you can only push a small amount of dirt with an Excavator.
It is basically a one function piece of equipment. Just like a zero turn mower that mows better than any other, an excavator digs better than any thing else but that is all it can do.

PROS: You wont ever have a flat tire on an excavator so it can go into nails, thorns and other sharp objects that may ruin a tire on a tractor.
You can swing 180 degrees in both directions on most excavators so you can dump your spoils a long way from your digging, most helpful when digging out a pond or ditch.
You can reposition the machine much easier than a TLB and no moving from seat to seat or spinning the seat around to move it.
The speed of operation is usually much faster on an Excavator than a TLB or even a commercial backhoe.

As for uses, with a hydraulic thumb on it, you can use it to pick up almost any object (rocks, branches, stumps, fire wood etc.) and gently place it where ever it is needed.
If I had a lot of digging to do, I would look at an excavator then when most or all digging is completed you can sell it for what you gave for it as long as it has been well cared for. Then buy a TLB. Personally I wouldn't be without some kind of digging and loading equipment

/ Mini Ex uses #7  
I've been debating/wanting an excavator for a very long time. I have a New Holland 555E loader backhoe that does just about everything, but sometimes it can be challenging maneuvering it and working in awkward positions. The limited swing is also a problem sometimes. My neighbor also has a full sized backhoe, and he hires out allot of work to guys who own excavators. There is huge difference in what they can do.

If you have the money, it's a no brainer. For me, I can't justify the expense when I can do everything the excavator can do with my backhoe, it just sometimes takes longer. And then their is the fact that my backhoe can do all sorts of things an excavator can't. I have a quick attach on the loader, so hauling dirt, picking up trees with the grapple, moving round bales with the hay spear, picking up pallets with the pallet forks are all easily done with the backhoe. Taking down trees and clearing brush is the easy part. Getting it all cleaned up and hauled to the burn pile is where all the time goes. Having one machine that does both has proven to be so useful that I will probably never buy an excavator.

/ Mini Ex uses
Thanks for the input everyone!
They are definitely slower to move around but I figure I can always roll it up in the trailer and tow it any real distance if needed. Majority of my work is in a small area and the large plot I will be on I will sort of work my way across it.
Really interested in everyones uses. I would love to get a mower (or build one) and figure that would make it super handy!!

/ Mini Ex uses #9  
What are your intended uses? I think everyone has pretty well laid out the pros and cons.

They can't be beat for pure digging like if you were a contractor installing septic systems, digging basements or swimming pools, trenching, etc but for the vast majority of acreage owners I think they are too specialized and other equipment like a TLB or backhoe would serve you better unless you plan on buying both.

As an example I have a full size backhoe and I bet I use the loader on it 10-20 times for overtime I use the hoe. When you need the backhoe you need it and there is no substitute but a FEL is so much more useful than a hoe for the typical needs of an average acreage owner.

/ Mini Ex uses
I have a MX5100 that covers my loader work. Plan to use the Ex to clean up the woods of old dead trees ( some tight areas where I will need to cut a road in), some trenching/dig out behind a bldg, clean some small areas, rock collecting (have a friend that will let me get all the rocks I want), bldg a few rock walls, clean out ditches, would like to add a mower at some point for the hard to reach spots, and dig some stumps out. After I get some more experience I plan on taking on some smaller side jobs (with Lic and insurance of course)
I am not to interested in a full size backhoe as I just don't have room for it in a lot of places I want to work and the weight would be a big issue. Sort of want to do some semi delicate landscape work with stuff that is still too big for our little BX.
Now just looking for odd or unique uses/attachments/ etc.... Figure I may have other uses I have not thought of yet.