ASV air conditioning failure, and a cheap(er) fix...

/ ASV air conditioning failure, and a cheap(er) fix... #1  

junkjunkie

Tractor
8N, Kubota MX5200, ASV RC100 w/ 60" magnum
I've seen numerous posts about folks having trouble with the air conditioning on ASV CTLs, but have yet to see anyone post a "here's what was broke, here's how I fixed it" on this topic. Shortly after putting the RC100 to work, the A/C went from blowing cold and strong to blowing weakly out of one side. I put it off until there was a "good reason" to flip the cab up, which came earlier in the week when my two-speed circuit started blowing fuses and then the seat-safety switch quit working (very inconvenient failure, that one; another long troubleshooting story).

After disassembling everything to get the seat safety switch out, I started doing some checks and found that one of the fans in the left hand arm rest had stopped working. With the one fan dead, the other fans were essentially just recirculating inside the air box, instead of pulling through the evaporator coil and blowing into the cab. Easy enough, says I, lets just see what a new fan costs.... :shocked: ouch! Maybe we don't need A/C so bad after all... My next thought was to blank off the spot where the bad fan was to allow the other fans to pull properly, but after a bit of research, I found the EXACT fan for sale online at less than 25% of the cost of the OEM part! When I say exact, I mean exact! nothing to change, adapt, or make-fit. The wires on the one I purchased online had a different connector, but the factory ASV spade terminals slid right on, and the bolt pattern was exact!

IMG_20160902_205423992_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160902_205416376.jpg

I know we're getting out of A/C season quickly, but though this might help someone somewhere deal with their A/C woes without impacting their fuel budget!

-Dan

/ ASV air conditioning failure, and a cheap(er) fix... #2  
Nice post and nice information. My ASV has had no issue but there is always tomorrow (don't jinx myself).

Could you post where on line that you found it. Link/URL or company name?
Thanks

/ ASV air conditioning failure, and a cheap(er) fix...
Could you post where on line that you found it. Link/URL or company name?
Thanks

No problem. I actually narrowed it down by searching the fan size, number of blades and direction of airflow (it actually turned up results quicker than I thought). I was then able to locate the correct fan on several sites, but ended up buying it from Amazon.

/ ASV air conditioning failure, and a cheap(er) fix...
That's the one. The plug on the end of the wire is different from the harness on my machine, but the terminals pushed right on over the spades anyhow.