Excavator wont start. Starter maybe?

/ Excavator wont start. Starter maybe? #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
Komatsu PC 130-6. Turn the key and lights on display come on. Makes normal beep noises. Glow plug light goes off and I turn the key all the way. All I get is a very loud mechanical click from the engine area. I thought maybe it was just a weak battery. My batteries were marked as bein from December '09. I replaced them and I get the same behavior. This has happened a few times before but a second attempt always started it. I also had it turn over slow before which is another reason I suspected the batteries. Is this alike to be a starter problem. I'm assuming diesels have starters like gas engines. If so, where is the darn thin and is this something for a certified mechanic or can I fix it myself. All ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
David

/ Excavator wont start. Starter maybe? #2  
It sounds like the starter, if you hear the loud click which is probably the starter solenoid. Sometimes it's just the contactor in the solenoid making poor contact. I have taken starters apart and cleaned that up, but in truth, usually I find myself buying a new starter not too far down the road. Fortunately, they are available after-market at good prices.

If you were handy, you could take a jumper lead from positive Bat to the heavy stud on the starter to determine if you have a bad cable. Also a cable from the neg bat post to the starter casting to make sure you have a good ground. Use quality jumper cables, or don't even bother.

Not really great things to do, if you don't have experience. There is a LOT of stored potential in a battery. It can easily lead to personal injury and/or property damage if not handled correctly.

/ Excavator wont start. Starter maybe?
I left my owners manual at home but I have a repair manual on my laptop. I will look tonight to see where the starter is. I couldn't make it out earlier. The click is very loud almost ringing, if that makes sense. I hope the starter is within reach.

/ Excavator wont start. Starter maybe? #4  
Positive battery cable must run to the starter. No idea on your machine and engine but starters are normally easy to access, and find. Depending on design if the solenoid they can be easy to replace. You may be able to find a repair shop for starters and generators.

My sad history with starters began about 20 years ago when I was leaving a grocery store with my wife. My Karmann Ghia would not start. I was baffled...I turned the key and it made a loud click. She said "just rock it , I bet it will start.". I didn't know what she was talking about, but she quickly educated me, and it turned out that she was right.". I replaced that starter. It took me two days. She knew a lot more about cars than I did. I am pulling up the repair manual now to see where the starter is located.

Instructions in the shop manual say that I need to remove one of the side covers. That is a topside grate. Should be relatively easy as long as Conan wasn't the mechanic who put them on. I know that I removed one of the grates when I was fighting a fuel problem earlier this year. I also have to remove the exams manifold cover. That is why I couldn't see the stater motor before. It's under that but it didn't say anything about removing the counterweight, so I should be able to do this myself. If I can find the part tomorrow I will be able to work on it. If not, it will be a couple weeks before I can get to it.

/ Excavator wont start. Starter maybe? #7  
No idea the design on your excavator but on my mini the sides have about 3 bolts holding them in place and they are on hinges with the counter weight on them. Easy to removed bolts and swing the sides and weight out the way.

On finding the starter and repair of the VW, never knew much about those engines but knew enough not to try and work on one. Germans seem to have the ability to make great machines and seem to have the ability to design at least some where access is interesting.

/ Excavator wont start. Starter maybe? #8  
An internally corroded (under the insulation) battery cable or a bad connection where the negative cable attaches to the frame will cause your symptoms.

Do you have a digital voltmeter? Starter Voltage Drop - YouTube

/ Excavator wont start. Starter maybe? #9  
Start with the basics , try giving it a jump start , clean the cables , try a different battery , Before you replace the starter

I put two brand new batteries in. Same think. Loud Click. I have a local Komatsu dealer getting there starter in for me. I won't be back up to the land for 2 weeks due to work obligations. I will take the voltmeter with me and check a few things first. But I'm pretty sure it is the starter.

And as for the VW starter...it wasn't in a hard place to get to, I just wasn't very handy.