Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ?

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ? #21  
My red Folgers plastic coffee can with lid has a huge selection of zerk fittings. It also has the wrenches for removing four different sizes, taps to rethread them, and a modified screw driver for cleaning out the hole of dirty grease after I remove the zerk. I also have a couple of rags in there too.

On the outside of the coffee can, I used wide, clear packing tape to tape a zerk to the outside of the coffee can so I can glance at it on the shelf and know what's inside it. I do this with all my five gallon storage buckets and coffee cans.

Thats a good idea Eddie!

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ? #22  
Not really that easy or even necessary for everyone...

Really. A guy who has room for a tractor doesn't have room for a small box of zerks? A zip-lock sandwich bag full?

He can put fuel and fluids in the thing but he can't spend a ten spot to keep a few grease fittings around?

But he can spend that in gas to go buy one in town? Or fool around for 10 minutes cleaning it to save, what? Let's do the math. On that Amazon page I linked above there were several small (small, very small) kits that had 110 pieces and ran thirteen bucks. That's twelve cents each.

You really think it makes sense to fool around for 5 or 10 minutes cleaning a zerk which may or may not work, to save twelve whole cents.

And someone who owns and runs a tractor is so poor he can't afford 13 bucks to keep more of them on hand than he is likely to ever need, and can't find space to fit a kit the size of a pie tin.

Really?

A common problem with BX25's seems to be a failing safety switch - does everyone keep on on hand????

And how much is a safety switch? And how often to they go out?

No, the problem is that people are used to thinking of zerks as part of the equipment, instead of recognizing them as consumables.

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ? #23  
And how much is a safety switch? And how often to they go out?

No, the problem is that people are used to thinking of zerks as part of the equipment, instead of recognizing them as consumables.

To answer your question - I have replaced 2 safety switches now. 1 on a machine with 264 hrs and one on a friends machine with under 300 hrs. That is the only two BX25's we have around so I am two for two and have read of others having the same issue for some reason. I still would not recommend everyone waste the $10 or so bucks to have one "just in case" however but if you need the machine well maybe it is worth it. Not really different then a $13 kit that many will never need them.
Now on the old b we had, L3700, B7610, KX91, MX5100 and my BX25 a well as several other machines I have only replaced a total of two zerks due to me damaging them...... I have bought and rebuilt a few pieces of Eqpt where the Zerk came to me broken and I replaced them (They were sheared off) but none of the larger eqpt ever consumed them in my case.
Not an argument but understand not everyone has or wants to keep spares of everything and it does not make them wrong. I personally keep a large supply of parts handy but I have friends and neighbors that don't for whatever reason. I know you mention they are not expensive and I don't disagree but start adding everything up - Zerks, various nuts/bolts - all lengths, metic, SAE, etc, Oil filters, air filters, different oils - reg, syn., hydro, etc, fuel filters, water filters, extra hydro hoses, different greases, etc and now do this for each and every machine and it does cost some real money, time and space....

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ? #24  
Typically its not the zerk that plugs. Its the grease passageway, and it plugs at the end, where the dirt gets packed into the hole by the pin. You pretty much always have to go after it with a poker or piece of wire anyway. So you poke around in the fitting just for the heck of it (which is probably not plugged) and then ream out the hole, and just screw the fitting back in. Then remember to grease it more often and it doesn't plug.

I have a box of assorted fittings and have used more for adding zerks than changing them out. But thats just how my eqpt works out.

WCDad thats a mighty machine!

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ? #25  
Typically its not the zerk that plugs. Its the grease passageway, and it plugs at the end, where the dirt gets packed into the hole by the pin. You pretty much always have to go after it with a poker or piece of wire anyway. So you poke around in the fitting just for the heck of it (which is probably not plugged) and then ream out the hole, and just screw the fitting back in. Then remember to grease it more often and it doesn't plug.

I have a box of assorted fittings and have used more for adding zerks than changing them out. But thats just how my eqpt works out.

WCDad thats a mighty machine!

I like to spray brake cleaner in there too. It breaks up the build up and washes it out.

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ?
I had already thought of the brake cleaner. I have a can of chlorine free brake cleaner in the truck. I also have a can of CLP. I was up there yesterday, but it has rained and everything was a mud pie so I didn't bother with it at all. I just grabbed my rifle and sat in the woods watching the crows and the squirrels. I will call the Komatsu dealer today to see what size zerk I need and see if they have them in stock. I am also built a large assorted box of perks to keep on site as someone else recommended.

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ? #27  
Switch zeros with the other side.

I swung by Rish Equipment Co., my local Komatsu dealer, and picked up the proper zerk. 3 bucks. While I was there I picked up an ECCO 1,000 lumen light to mount on the boom. I currently have no lights on the excavator.

/ Track Tensioner won't take grease. What do I do ? #29  
I swung by Rish Equipment Co., my local Komatsu dealer, and picked up the proper zerk. 3 bucks. While I was there I picked up an ECCO 1,000 lumen light to mount on the boom. I currently have no lights on the excavator.

Lights are darn handy on an Ex. I have a boom light and added a 24" LED light bar and it sure makes things easier and extends my working Hrs when needed.

Lights are darn handy on an Ex. I have a boom light and added a 24" LED light bar and it sure makes things easier and extends my working Hrs when needed.
I will probably end up putting a second light on. Currently there is a mount about6 or 8 feet up the boom. No wires at all so I need to run those. And there is a burned out flood light in the tool box that I could also replace with another of these LED lights. I'm hoping to start burning soon so I need to be able to turn the lights on.